Riviera Trumpet horns on ebay.What year

Guest Stage3

hornstamp.jpg

Here is some stamped number info and measurements. Contact the seller and ask him to confirm some of them for you. I read somewhere that in '65, Buick went back to the '64 short horn at some point. So if they are '64 stampings on the short horn, they'd be ok for a '65 as well. Let us all know what you find out from the seller.

Ed

<TABLE border=1 width=350><TBODY><TR><TD width="20%"> </TD><TD width="80%" colSpan=3 align=middle>Small horn </TD><TD width="80%" colSpan=3 align=middle>Large horn </TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%"> </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle> length </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>pitch </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>stamp* </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>length </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>pitch </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>stamp* </TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%">1963 </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>14" </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>Bb </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>948 </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>24" </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>C </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>949 </TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%">1964 </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>12" </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>C </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>898 </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>22" </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>D </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>897 </TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%">1965 </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>12" </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>B </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>930 </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>22" </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>D </TD><TD width="20%" align=middle>897 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You can find info on restoration of these horns at www.chip.com/buick that's where I got the info from

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

RivNut,

Wow thank you for all the great information Sir!

The horns are mine, so I will check them today, I just wanted to make sure I was representing them properly.

Thank you very much.:)

Here is a picture of our baby, not a Riv but has Riviera hubcaps that pick the Electra ribbing up better in my opinion.

Wish she ran (been broken for a year)

post-66358-143138171593_thumb.jpg

Well, not sure really what I have now.stamp is right but the lengths are not.

Here is the info I added to the ad based on the chart you were kind enough to share:

I checked the stamp numbers on the horns this morning as well as the trumpet lengths. The large trumpet measures 20" overall and the trumpet is 18" and it is stamped "12V" and under that "897". The smaller trumpet is 11" over all and the trumpet is just under 10" there may be another stamp (took me awhile to find the one on the large trumpet) but so far I only see a cast in "1" on the smaller trumpet but it may be covered with paint like the larger trumpets was .

Yes those look like great directions, if these don't sell I may put them on our 60.

So does anyone have an idea what these are correct for?

The large trumpet stamp is correct (haven't located on smaller one yet) but the lengths don't appear correct unless it varied during the year?

I'd go by the stampings and figure they're a matched set.

Who knows, maybe Chip was using his fishing ruler when he measured them.

Just pretend that the chart only had stamping numbers on it and didn't include measurements.

I think that your "Buy it now" price is fair (not knowing what your reserve it, but I'd hope it's close.) The high bidder now has bid twice and is still on top. Who knows what he has laid in as his top dollar. The auction is still far from over. In my experience, the true bidders will come out about 20- 30 minutes before the end of the auction, with one or two guys doing some kamikaze bidding in the last few seconds.

Perhaps someone on the forum can tell what they've paid or would sell theirs for. When I bought my '63 in 1982, the horns had been stolen off of it. (I knew it had the four note horn option because I got the window sticker with the car.) I think I paid around $100 for a set in '83 or '84 when I found a set. What would that translate to in today's dollars. Plus the demand is greater now. If you don't get a good price for them, they'd sound good on your '60

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)