DB 25 R/H fender

Bob Downunder

I have a DB 1925 Tourer which has undergone a full restoration and is in the final stages of assembly. On fitting the R/H rear fender I could not align and install the rear mount bolt without inducing considerable twist in the fender. On further investigation I found that the R/H fender is 2 inches longer than the L/H one. Not knowing the previous history of the vehicle, I don't know whether the fender has been changed or damaged at some stage. The outer flange of it doesn't show any signs of distortion.

My question, did the length of the fenders vary between different body types, or could the fender be off a later model?

R/H rear fender measures 51 inches and the L/H rear fender measures 49 inches.

Edited by Bob Downunder
Additional Information (see edit history)

1924-1927 would be the same dimensions, whether touring, coupe, roadster, screenside, etc. The early 24 did not have the stamped "D" shape (sorta) on the inner fender like the later ones, otherwise all identical. Are you sure it is not just been uncurved a little some time in it's life? If it got flattened it would get longer.

Duh! I guess I need to read better! Thanks for the wake up call Vern! There are alot of rear fenders, all looking very similar. Some longer, some narrower, etc. I have a large stack of fenders and still had to find some elsewhere for a 27 sedan I am putting together. They are quite narrow compared to earlier ones. Coupes and roadsters are the same for like years and tourings are different, and maybe sedans are different yet. 23 and earlier have a larger radius and MAY almost fit if the spring pocket was removed so it may well be longer than a 24-25 but I do not know that for a fact.

Bob

You are not alone with this problem. The original RH rear on my 25 roadster was too far gone - it had been hit from the rear and poorly repaired. The end result was loss of the dome and a shape resembling a deformed banana. I managed to obtain a replacement but it did differ in the the width of the edge and the overall length. While the shapes of both guards were identical, the replacement was about one inch shorter.

I put these differences down to manufacturing tolerences- given that the overall shape was probably stamped in a die and the edge guided through the wiring machine by eye. You will see evidence of the toothed wiring rollers on the edges.

The bottom line is that it is very difficult to see the differences side to side. If you are having trouble using the original bolt holes just line up the guard and drill another. It is better to avoid distorting the guard. Mine had additional holes drilled to suit the Australian body from new.

Tony

Thanks fellas for your responses. It seems these fenders can vary considerably probably due to different manufacturers and manufacturing tolerences. Looking into repairing the fender I have or replacing it with one I am going to look at this weekend. Will depend on its condition. To use the current one in its present condition I would have to extend the inner portion of the fender and redrill the hole in order to mount it squarely on the body. Thanks Bob