Tools

Guest 1930

Jason asked that I post this email below incase others may be able to help.

"Hey Jason,

after reading the Tools thread you created I

noticed I am on the wrong path for what I need for my tool

kit so I'm just going to start over from scratch and use

that thread as a guide.

A couple of things I am wanting to know are :

In post #47 on page 2 you show pictures of different tools and you

mentioned a gentleman named Doug that possibly may have

extras. Can you tell me if he has the wrench in the 1st

photo and 2nd photos on the left of post #47 ?

I am interested in ANY and ALL tools he may have listed in

my parts list book since I'm starting over.

One thing to note is on the DA hubcaps compared to my DA 3/4 ton truck is

that the hubcaps are substantially smaller than the hubcaps

on my truck at least the inside where they thread

onto the hub. I know this because if you recall the 29 Coupe

parts car I spoke of previously I was able to take one of my

correct fitting hubcaps to test it on the 29 Coupe hubs. The

reason I make note of that fact is because I wanted to

verify the hubcap wrench tool was the same for a 29 DA car

and my 30 DA truck. I'm assuming the outer octagon shape on

both caps are the same thus making the wrench a universal

fit for DA models for both Car and Truck but I was hoping

you could verify. Pictured below is what my hubcaps look

like. Notice the flat edge is very pronounced on the inside(but on the cars they are curved).

I've also provided measurements incase you come across any

or incase you need it for your own personal notes. I am in need of

two more of these same style hubcaps also. I should also note the car

hubcaps have six rows of threads while my truck has eight rows.

Regards,

Dave "

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201711[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]201712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]201713[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]201714[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]201722[/ATTACH]

Sorry for the delay but you know whats going on, lets try and figure something out about your tools, I have not spent much time on trucks so maybe I wont be of much help.

BTW I think you misunderstood the post, the fellow that has the few tools is not named Doug. You said ............Can you tell me if he has the wrench in the 1st photo and 2nd photos on the left of post #47...........Do you mean the hinged hub-cap wrench, if so this is not the correct wrench for your truck so why do you ask, do you feel the wrench in the second photo is correct for you truck and if so why?

Your hubcap wrench is part # 1151, a very early number, maybe there is a chance we can get to the bottom of that one.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

54478d1340360540t-tools-dodge-hubcaps-wrenches-1-buss-.jpgIn this photo I was thinking one of the two bottom right wrenches would have went to the upper right hubcap, I'm assuming that's from a DA 6 passenger car. So my thoughts were since the DA car and truck both have the same design and shape that the outer octagon shape would be the same size. Mine measures 2 7/8" for my truck, I don't know what a DA car measurement would be.

54478d1340360540t-tools-dodge-hubcaps-wrenches-1-buss-.jpgIn this photo I was thinking one of the two bottom right wrenches would have went to the upper right hubcap, I'm assuming that's from a DA 6 passenger car. So my thoughts were since the DA car and truck both have the same design and shape that the outer octagon shape would be the same size. Mine measures 2 7/8" for my truck, I don't know what a DA car measurement would be.

The two left wrenches ( hinged and open tang ) are correct for the DA automobile ( and other models avail at the time ) depending on cars serial number. I will look and see if I can tell you what is correct for your truck.

This one was too easy, whats next ?

Maybe disregard the lower notes, I put these together a couple of years ago maybe and I try to keep notes of changes where I feel they are applicable.

This wrench should be fairly easy too find, do not pay more than a few dollars for one, I still see them at local flea markets maybe once or twice a year. You do not want to buy this from the fellow that I mentioned since his prices will be too high if it is avail.

post-48869-143142011137_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jason.

It's funny, I've seen those a lot in the past and have always wondered what they went to all the while not knowing it went to my truck but I have yet to see one priced under $20 if memory serves me correct. There is one for sale on the big board for $50 and very crusty, he's had it for sale forever too. Yesterday I picked up one of the open tang wrenches for a buck even though my hunch was I needed the one you pointed out I figured for a dollar it couldn't hurt.

If anyone needs an open tang wrench and you have the wrench I need in post #164 I'm happy to make a swap straight across.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

This one was too easy, whats next ?

QUOTE]

How about the bleeder hose assembly for the DA trucks ? I show 2 different part numbers from the passenger to the truck. Truck # is 51554 for the car it's #200571. Just wondering what the difference is if you know?

Edit: Also, the crank assembly part #, jack, & tire pump appear to be different numbers as well when comparing the DA cars and trucks.

post-69994-143142011309_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142011289_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jason.

It's funny, I've seen those a lot in the past and have always wondered what they went to all the while not knowing it went to my truck but I have yet to see one priced under $20 if memory serves me correct. There is one for sale on the big board for $50 and very crusty, he's had it for sale forever too. Yesterday I picked up one of the open tang wrenches for a buck even though my hunch was I needed the one you pointed out I figured for a dollar it couldn't hurt.

If anyone needs an open tang wrench and you have the wrench I need in post #164 I'm happy to make a swap straight across.

The last one I picked up a few months ago cost me 50 cents so I guess you are losing 50 cents off your investment, If you can handle that e-mail me your address so I do not have to search for it. E-mail me a pic of the open tang wrench also if you can just to make sure it is the one I am thinking, if not you can still have this one but just pay the postage.

I don't know... I suppose I can deal with that ;) thanks ! Heading out the door in a few, I'll shoot that over to you with measurements when I get back. Going to revisit the ole antique shop that I had good luck with last week so I'll be sure and post any DB tools when I get back if I find some. Only one thing better than research and that's digging through piles of rust..

Try to do one at a time so its less time consuming,51544 bleeder hose assy will be very difficult to locate but I am sure with enough effort the answer can be found, just as a point of reference it was used within the DD, DE, DF, DC, DH, DI, DL, DK, DM, DP, DO, DQ automobiles.

I would eliminate or put off trying to find a DE Df DI DJ DG DM DP and DQ model as these were all I believe primarily export vehicles and chances of finding one with an owner that is willing to work with you may be difficult let alone still have or care about what he may have within his original tool-kit.

I am told of a very complete DH tool-kit that I am trying to get info on, unfortunately at this point everything was fine and dandy until I sent him info he was looking for and he no longer had any use for following thru with his end of the bargain but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will let you know if anything comes out of it though.

Incidentally Plymouth used the same assy for their Q ( 1928 ) ( first year for the Plymouth ) U ( 1929 ) .................OK I see I am screwing up here, I have already found the 51544. So I found yours but have yet to find the one for my own car.

No I have no idea what the differences are.

Thanks for the response Jason. These are huge answers your helping me with I appreciate it!

Another question when you get time: In this photo the tool in the upper left , what is the application for this tool? Meaning, what years and models if you know ?

There's one on the big board if anyone needs it

54483d1340360540t-tools-dodge-wrenches-3-buss-.jpg

Vintage T Handle Automotive Tool Kit Wrench Lug Wrench 7 8" | eBay

Thanks for the response Jason. These are huge answers your helping me with I appreciate it!

Another question when you get time: In this photo the tool in the upper left , what is the application for this tool? Meaning, what years and models if you know ?

There's one on the big board if anyone needs it

54483d1340360540t-tools-dodge-wrenches-3-buss-.jpg

Vintage T Handle Automotive Tool Kit Wrench Lug Wrench 7 8" | eBay

If memory serves me early Dodge 4 cyl had a wrench similar to this but I believe at least one other make used something similar to this as well. I am not sure of the differences and would not be able to point out how to tell what specific differences make the Dodge wrench the correct wrench.

516316 is as I am sure you are seeing a relatively new number which means that it prob was not a regurgitated part from the 4 cyl era. I am going to look at a couple more things but I doubt I have even a plausible guess on what you should be looking for there.

EDIT: Cannot help with this one, number does not show up in any other place ( including the MPB ) going thru the MPB glossaries, no idea and woudnt know where to begin except to say that it would be a taller jack than the auto and assuming there was only one contract issued at the time for jacks that Auto Specialties was the manuf.

Jason, Can you tell me if a tyre pump was part of a DB tool kit Thank you Ron

Hello Ron, it depends on the vehicle, if you are referring to your Senior than yes, if you give me the serial number or at least verify it is a 2249 ( which I think it is ) than I will attach the page from your parts manual showing the list of tools needed and help you ( if you like ) figure out what you are supposed to have for your car.

Here is your tire pump and all of its applications, I would guess considering it shows earlier models as using this pump that Chrysler at the time of making this book grouped all common pumps together with dis-regard for specific model, ( of pump ) I have seen this often with the tools....they would use the newest part number to cover many older parts that could have been interchanged but did not necessarily have the same appearance.

I will post a picture this evening of what I would guess to be the correct pump for your truck and will give you the reason why.

post-48869-143142023636_thumb.jpg

516316 is as I am sure you are seeing a relatively new number which means that it prob was not a regurgitated part from the 4 cyl era. I am going to look at a couple more things but I doubt I have even a plausible guess on what you should be looking for there.

EDIT: Cannot help with this one, number does not show up in any other place ( including the MPB ) going thru the MPB glossaries, no idea and woudnt know where to begin except to say that it would be a taller jack than the auto and assuming there was only one contract issued at the time for jacks that Auto Specialties was the manuf.

Thanks Jason, I understand. Since the 951 is for passenger car would I be looking for a higher or lower number ? If you know, no biggy, I was just curious if you knew off the top of your head. (No rush, Ron is next up I can wait)

Off the top of my head and it makes no sense but if memory serves me 961 was a ( slightly with a different head ) shorter version, 961 was model A if I remember application. I could verify, I have it written down somewhere and have a 961 somewhere for comparison. Anyway dont know the meaning behind these numbers assigned.

Thanks Jason,

Need help on another tool I'm trying to find answers on when you get a chance.

Part #201121 on my 3/4 ton Parts list, it's showing 2 wrenches for the same part number for the push rod adjusting screw nut wrench. Any idea what shape, size of opening and length this tool would have been ? I've seen them with curved heads and with straight open ends (the first page of this thread shows these two different designs in post #3 and post #5). I understand these to be 8" long and have an opening of 1/2". Which one of those would apply to my truck tool kit ?

Thanks Jason,

Part #201121 on my 3/4 ton Parts list, it's showing 2 wrenches for the same part number for the push rod adjusting screw nut wrench. Any idea what shape, size of opening and length this tool would have been ? I've seen them with curved heads and with straight open ends (the first page of this thread shows these two different designs in post #3 and post #5). I understand these to be 8" long and have an opening of 1/2". Which one of those would apply to my truck tool kit ?

I dont think there will be a problem with this, still need to post pictures of your tire pump, getting late now though.

We will have to see how these pictures come out but just some things to consider for your tire pump, ( some speculation, some facts, if I did not feel they were good speculations based on valid observations than I would not bother posting the info ) early DA tire pump I strongly believe far left, it is a Monroe tire pump, clearly marked as such, used as well on earlier 6 cyl vehicles prior to Chrysler.

I was able to confirm this as an early DA tire pump according to the DA Preliminary parts manual, unfortunately this is the only manual that this number appears within for this model that I have run across at this time.

Far right late DA ( and more ) tire pump, clearly no indications of manufacturer and because of its sparse make-up clearly fits into post Chrysler leadership. This information derived partly from 1934 MPB which suggests its use for many models prior to its publication date, ( including DA ) it was a pump, it put air in the tire, it was recognized somehow in 1934 with this part number, publisher of Chrysler MPB didnt give a hoot what the authentic tire pump may have looked like for the later DA and so they assigned it this same part number

Later DA tire pump carries a part number of 51261 ( according to model specific parts book ) which was shared by some of the truck models according to parts books, I am still un-clear of what this pump may have looked like.

Center pump may be the pump you are looking for, it is identical to far right pump with the exception of a slightly longer and larger diam barrel which as was suggested to me would lead one to believe that it was designed for a bit of a larger tire such as your truck tire.

If I were you and looking for the correct tire pump for my truck than at this point this would be the pump I would be looking for, it is absolutely correct for the same time period and was obviously manufactured by the same company as was producing the auto pumps.

BTW I did receive your wrench the other day and thanks, very nice, have yet to mail yours cause I am assuming no rush but will do so shortly.

post-48869-143142057095_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143142057121_thumb.jpg

Roughly how tall are the two pumps on the right and are the handles held on by a hex nut or something more permanent? No problem on the wrench, as I said it's no rush I know your good for it.

I had to edit my message above, I have too many irons in the fire, the center pump ( or taller pump ) is approx 21.5 inches long and is identical in every other way to the shorter version with the exception of its larger barrel and increase in length noted.

Sorry for the confusion, BTW I believe off the top of my head that the DA 51261 is carried by the DA 120, 130 and 140, if you want a project tell me what this pump is supposed to look like :)

The green I believe is correct, possibly the pump was manufactured by auto specialties? Appears to be same green as used on jacks, coincidence?

post-48869-143142059908_thumb.jpg

I believe I have found a time period correct tire pump (10 bucks), will let you know when it arrives.

Can we revisit the jack for a moment ? Recently I saw a Drednaut 961 but the letters were stamped and not raised with no other writing, I was assuming this to be the smaller Ford jack you mentioned. My question is, should I be looking for a jack with raised letters stating "Auto Specialties St Joseph MI" and will the barrel be closed meaning not able to see the spindle ?

post-69994-143142061992_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314211152_thumb.jpg

Raised letters would be the correct from what I have noticed and the open body would be an earlier unit, early to mid 20ish. The jack in the picture reminds me of an early Chrysler, I am assuming it accepts a square shaft handle?

I have the identical ( no 27 ) jack with handle, if you bought this for ten dollars than you did not do bad if you choose to re-sell, a jack with the correct handle is worth some change on E-bay to early Chrysler owners, not sure of value without handle but again I dont think you can go wrong at 10 dollars.

post-48869-1431420620_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143142111525_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jason,

Part # 201121 shows up in auto MPB as a number assigned to the push rod adjusting wrench for Victory, Standard and Senior, in all of these model specific parts books the number assigned is this 2299. I would say that there is a good possibility this is your wrench, I say this because there are other slightly different variations to this wrench assigned with different part numbers within their model specific parts books ( for different models ) and again an up-dated number showing within the later MPB.

post-48869-143142062013_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143142111536_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have any information for Hammer part #78924, or the Punch part # 1141 ? I see the 4 and 6 cylinder trucks used these same numbers according to my parts book but, I wanted to see if any of you car guys had any samples you could share that would shed light on these two pieces I'm trying to locate. I thought I read that the hammer was 10 3/4" long, I need to know if this is correct and if possible get a part # from the car crowd.

Also, I was hoping someone could shed some light on the DBCN Reprint Tool Guide for sale on the DBC website. I primarily would like to know how in depth the coverage is for all DB vehicles including trucks or does it only cover cars ?

I believe off the top of my head that the DA 51261 is carried by the DA 120, 130 and 140, if you want a project tell me what this pump is supposed to look like :)

Jason, have you found any answers in regards to part #51261 ? Since the parts book shows the same pump also for the larger trucks I wonder if it's possible that it could be a dual cylinder pump similar to the one in the photo below? I think the base is correct and, the wood handle and cylinder caps look correct .. .

post-69994-143142328135_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dodge Brothers !

I recently received my copy of the "Guide to Authentic Tools" and highly recommend it for anyone interested in DB tools from 1914-1938. You can find it at the DB Club Store http://shop.dodgebrothersclub.com/Home_c1.htm?page=2

Thanks to all of you who may have contributed information to this guide over the years, this is very helpful information to us beginners and well worth the $9.

I am still looking for any information on part #'s 514543 and 51261 but have had no luck...

If any of you truck guys find an original condition truck for purchase or are consider purchasing, please let someone know if you find a tire pump included with the truck and take plenty of pics if the owner will let you. Personally I have looked at 5 trucks in person and via emails in the last 2 years but have never seen any tools with any truck other than the engine crank.