BEWARE of Walter Miller Literature

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

<BR>BEWARE of Walter Miller's Automotive literature company. They are unethical and are liars.<P>(The following is a lesson in "Buyer Beware"---especially on eBay!)<P>I bid on a Buick showroom album Walter Miller's AutoLit.com was selling on eBay. There were NO pix, but it was described as "Excellent" and also had a "no questions asked" refund policy. How could I go wrong,I thought--especially since I'd dealt with Miller successfully before. I should have looked at the feedback closer--sure he's got thousands of "+" comments, but also has dozens and dozens of NEGATIVES!! <P>To make a long story shorter: I paid immediately after auction with PayPal (credit card). Got the item, and it was JUNK. I mean it was water-logged,had mold all over it, and smelled so bad I had to put it in the garage!!<P>I promptly emailed them, and was told to return the item and for either a refund or replacement. I acknowledged, thanked them for the choice, stated that I wanted the REFUND, and mailed the book back (at my expense).<P>Then, wait, and wait, and wait. No answer to repeated emails. Finally, after several weeks, they tell me they're sending out another showroom album--this time a "really nice one".<P>I told 'em AGAIN that I just wanted a refund, and would sure appreciate the shipping fees, too. But, in spite of my CLEAR direction, they sent the other book out to me anyways.<P>Of course, I refused delivery of the second book and sent more emails. Finally got a refund check covering original price and shipping, but not return shipping. I was just glad "it" was over.<P>Well, I suppose I could have left things alone, but instead I felt an OBLIGATION to comment on this behavior in the eBay feedback forum. I left a NEGATIVE comment (the first I've had to leave in my 2 years on eBay!)<BR>that was NOT hostile, but was ACCURATE. I stated Miller's reluctance to refund $,and how it took 5 weeks overall to resolve.<P>Next thing I know, the dirty rats left "sour grapes" negative feedback that was an out and out LIE. They stated that I was a deadbeat bidder that bid on the item, but did not buy it!! Big nerve, huh? There goes my "flawless"<BR>eBay feedback record.<P>Would I do it again (the feedback)? Darn right, I would. Maybe my comment will help just ONE poor auto buff from getting the Miller run-around.<P>I'll get off my soapbox to say that in my 20 years of buying/selling/trading cars, car parts, and "automobilia", I've dealt with hundreds of people. Many of them were complete strangers. In this entire time, I could count my "bad" experiences on half of one hand. I'm just sorry to have to add Walter Miller to that count.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Greg Cockerill<BR>BCA #36864<BR>1970 Electra convertible

Greg, Sorry to hear about all your trouble with Walter Miller. I too have successfully used them for years but with this trouble you have had I know that I will be looking hard at this too. I know that they advertise heavily in Hemmings. I also heard that Hemmings will not allow them to advertise or do business in their Magazine if they pull this type of crap. I know that you purchased it thru ebay but maybe word needs to get thru Hemmings on this. Too many old car buffs are getting burned. It is sad that the few dishonest ones give the good guys a bad name and where do they get off giving you bad feedback on ebay? It really makes me wonder. Sorry about all your trouble.

Greg, Sorry to hear about all your trouble with Walter Miller. I too have successfully used them for years but with this trouble you have had I know that I will be looking hard at this too. I know that they advertise heavily in Hemmings. I also heard that Hemmings will not allow them to advertise or do business in their Magazine if they pull this type of crap. I know that you purchased it thru ebay but maybe word needs to get thru Hemmings on this. Too many old car buffs are getting burned. It is sad that the few dishonest ones give the good guys a bad name and where do they get off giving you bad feedback on ebay? It really makes me wonder. Sorry about all your trouble.

I just copied your message and sent it directly to Hemmings. Didn't mention your name or anything like that. Maybe this will fry the Mother.<P>-The Guru

Guest 70 Electra

Thanks, guys. The nice thing about posting in a place like this is that you get some (well-deserved!) sympathy.<P>The Hemmings idea is great. Actually I had thought of the same thing and called earlier today. They told me that they would definately be interested in recording the details of the problem and filing it in their complaint file. This is used like the BBB--when people inquire about a vendor, they are informed of past and current complaints.<P>(By the way, according to Hemmings, Walter Miller is no stranger to customer complaints--although, technically, all are presently considered "resolved".)

If you read Miller's feedback on eBay it's pretty poor. His negative to positive ratio is pretty high. His staff is very slow to respond to e-mail inquiry regarding his lit. When I e-mailed him to complain about the very slow response time he wrote an ignarant and arrogant response to my complaint. I won't buy anything from him.

Hey progoofoff,<BR>I was going to ask how you spent your share of the Coker kick-back ???<P>Boy they sure do ride nice ... <P>Just remember that The Guru is always lurking in the shadows.<P>Take care.

Guest Shaffer

How do we know who he is? What is his user ID? (If you can post it)<BR>( or just give us an item number as if we was going to bid on a item.) I buy stuff off of e-bay all the time and would hate to buy from a poor seller. Thanks for letting us know.

Guest 70 Electra

Thanks for the support. <P>To answer the previous question, Walter Miller Literature company goes by the eBay name of "info@autolit.com"<P>Although I did check out his feedback first, I should have paid more attention to it. However, I had been adequately satisfied in a past dealing with him (non eBay) and figured I could count on fair service again--what a mistake!

I have purchased several items from Mr. Miller, both on eBay and directly. I have never had the sort of problem you have described, but I will say that literature he describes as "Mint" is merely a piece in decent shape; "Excellent" might mean something like "No pages are stuck together." I'd hate to find out what "Very Good" means...<P>As regards purchases on eBay and negative feedback: I have just one solitary negative remark made in a "sour grapes" sort of way, that was in response to a well-phrased and HONEST assessment of the HORRIBLE transaction that I endured. The experience kept me away from eBay for nearly two years. Since that time I have returned, but I am ever so cautious about feedback ratings. If the seller has one single solitary negative I'll usually steer clear, not always, but usually. It is a sad fact of modern life that dishonest people lurk out there to ruin it for us all. In the old days we used to leave our doors open all night (with just the screen door closed) to let in the cool night air... now I think twice about leaving a window open!<P>Let's keep posting our experiences, both good and bad, and in that way we can build a community right here that might help us all retain a feeling of trust. Thanks for sharing things with us Greg... sorry you had to endure such a bad time; the negative feedback really bites.<P>All the best,<P>Matthew