Strange steering problem

1935Packard

I took out the '41 110 today for the first time in about a month, and I was driving for about 20 minutes when the steering wheel started to get stuck. It was getting slightly stuck at the "straight" position, and I would have to jam it a bit to unstick it. It sounded like something in the steering wheel itself, like something directly under the horn button -- it had the feel of some sort of contact that was leading to rubbing of two parts, making it feel a bit stuck. It would go on and off: It would be loose and fine, only to get a bit stuck again later.

Any ideas?

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

Guest 55_Clipper

are there any jam nuts? sounds like a jam nut is loose... the only other thing i can think of is a blockage in the hydraulic system, but your symptoms don't support that conclusion....

I agree that the cross shaft bearings may have failed, or as is often the case, one of the balls has cracked and is causing the roller to stick. Suggest you remove the 4 bolts at the top cover of the steering box and observe the roller closely while someone turns the steering wheel a bit. If the cross shaft bearings have failed, now is a good time to go through the steering box, before the bearing shards cause any more trouble. If its not the cross shaft, possibly one of the steering box bearings (below the steering worm gear) may also have failed...