Source for 1948 Oil Filter decal?

48Super

Does anyone know of a source for the correct 1948 oil filter decal? Based on original ones I have seen, the color should be white and look similar to the one shown in the attached picture of a '49 engine. The 1948 oil filter decal sold by most vendors is orange with different text. I believe this is wrong and I cannot seem to locate a source for the one I need. Thanks for your help.

post-42951-143138155985_thumb.jpg

48 Super

I recently finished the restoration on my 48' Super 56C, there is an 100% original, unmolested example available to me for referance points. The filter decal should be white letters and applied to the top outside edge of the filter cap; also a round AC decal on the side of the canister. I purchased both from Bob's Automobilia.

Kevin Moore

Mt. Vernon, OH

Kevin,

Thanks for the great information, that certainly helps clear things up. I have the exact same car as you, a 56C. I always thought that a rectangular decal used because the only untouched original I ever saw was on a Road Master (with hydraulic lifters) and it looked like decal shown on the illustration of the engine in the shop manual.

Two different filter elements were used that year. A #P-127 was used on engines with hydraulic lifters and a #C-115 element was used on solid lifter engines. I did not realize that the C-115 decal was a totally different style. Also, I've never actually seen an original round AC decal so I'm glad to have that confirmed as well.

Can you tell me what color the filter housing is painted? I've seen all different versions, engine color, medium blue and blue with an orange top, very confusing. Do you have any pictures of the engine compartment on the original car you are referencing? I would really appreciate a chance to see them. Thanks very much for your assistance.

Mike Lawson