64 401-425 part needed

Guest 1965cat

Make that two of us!! I need one for a '65 401... Matt, I will repost if I find a couple or you can send an E-mail to:<P>buchan1@usit.net<P>Thanks,<P>Mark

It seems an evil person scooped all of them up and made a giant lawn sculpture of them. I have been looking a long time and no luck. I have a mile high stack of a/c ones, but no non/ac. Maybe my next fortune cookie will state " You will find your bracket ". Matt

Does anyone have pictures of these two brackets? I have one that I can't part with, but I don't know which one it is. It is supposedly the AC version, but I can't see how a compressor could be mounted on it without additional brackets. There are two small vertical tabs on top of the bracket; each with a ~ 1/4" hole that I guess would accept horizontally placed bolts.<P>Mark

I could take some pictures, but it's only going to be 27 degrees tomorrow, the brackets are different, not sure if I have an extra non-ac, but I will look. R<P>------------------<BR>Roberta<BR>BCA TREASURER 2000-2001<BR>BCA PRESIDENT 1998-2000<BR>BCA VICE PRESIDENT 1997-1998<BR>WEBMASTER<BR>Director-Michigan Chapter- Gran Sport Club of America 1989-Present<BR>http://www.geocities.com/buickracer<BR>1956 Special 2 door Sedan<BR>1966 Wildcats<BR>1968 GS-400 Convertible 4-speed<BR>1970 GSX Stage 1<BR>1970 Skylark Racecar - 11.26, 118 MPH, 7/22/00<BR>1986 GN, 4800 miles

The bracket for the a/c cars has the two raised tabs on the top of it to accept the a/c compressor. The non a/c version does not have the tabs cut out of it. I can take an a/c bracket and just bend the tabs down and weld the holes and smooth them, but this will take out the factory stamp marks and will not look correct. I have called several people on it, and they always tell me that they are hard to find. They are correct for, I believe, only 64 401 and 425 motors. Matt<BR>

The 65 bracket is cast aluminum. It bolts to the 2 studded head bolts and only provides the long bolt for the bottom of the alternator. The short bolt threads through a slotted bracket that comes from the timing chain cover. Is the 64 one piece, built in slot?<P>------------------<BR>Ted Nagel <BR>65 Wildcats <BR>65 Riviera <BR>65 Special Wagon 455 <BR>70 GS Stage1 4 Speed<BR>66 Fleetwood Brougham

The 64 bracket is steel, not aluminum. It has another small bracket on it that bolts to the bottom of the alt bracket and to the block. It provides support to the alt bracket because it has such a long reach. The 65 is a totally different animal, as is the 63 - though I have not seen a 63 Riviera 425 bracket, only a 401. Matt

Thanks all- I think the bracket I have is an alt & A/C bracket (it accepts the compressor via the two tabs) from a 64 - it has the slot as part of the bracket. I thought this bracket came from a 65, maybe a mid-year change? Anyway, the alternator hangs from the long bolt and the short bolt rides in that integral slot. The bracket is steel, and as Matt points out there is another bracket (actually fastened to the main part somehow) that extends to the rear and mounts to the studded head bolts.<P>If I want to mount a compressor, do I have to get additional bracket(s) to stabilize the rear of the compressor? Unfortunately, I do not have any parts books that go up to 65 to see what it looks like.

4 speed and cat, I have the brackets for the none a/c setup which was one of many parts i have taken photos of to put on ebay... I don't have for both of you guys.. so i guess i should put it on ebay or??? <BR>email me... cool_cat_oo@yahoo.com

Well... 65Cat needs one for a 65, which is different than a 64. I will email you, but do what you feel you'd like. It boils down to that fact that I still need one. Matt

Guest 1965cat

I tried Buickman62's advice and called Carmen Faso... he has a few in stock. I have ordered one of them... you can reach him at# 716-693-4090.<P>Thanks for the help!!<P>Mark