61 LeSabre Brakes

Misterbuickguy

I have decided to forgo getting my booster repaired on my 1961 Buick and go with with an undated two-reservoir master cylinder and undated booster.

If there is someone in the Forum who has done this, I'd like to know which model and year booster-master cylinder package you used. I think it's a good idea to upgrade my brake system.

Many Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...
Here is a link to a thread that may be able to help you out... http://forums.aaca.org/f118/61-buick-brake-booster-214709.html

Go down to message #9 in the thread. Jerry uses a booster/master cylinder setup from a '67 full-size Buick. I would think that the same setup would work for you.

Thanks! Kim and Brian! This is what I have been waiting for. I assume one uses the junction block for the old brake system?

Guest 4 bufords

i want to change the system on my 62 invicta but was looking at the 67 mastercylinder.parts guy said his called out two different numbers for the mastercylinder with power brakes. which one should i get? how much was the setup from summit? thanks,4 bufords from ct

4 bufords,

I haven't done this yet to my '62, but from what I understand about Buick brake systems in the 60's is that there were two different types of brake boosters used...Delco and Bendix. I would have to do some reading to refresh my memory on how to tell the two apart. I am assuming that the two different part numbers your parts guy are giving you are for the two types of boosters. I would think that you would want to go with the same type booster that you have now, either Delco or Bendix. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than myself will stop by and add some more information to the mix.

Brian

Guest 4 bufords

thanks for the info on the brake booster.right now i'm loosing fluid from the mc but nothing shows up on the floor.someone said the fluid could be draining back into the booster and will run out onto the carpet.going to check on saturday to see if the weather is a little warmer. thanks again,4 bufords from ct

Guest 4 bufords

thanks john, i,m in so much discomfort from my broken hip i can't do much bending or crawling over and under the hood.in the meantime,i'm gathering parts to change to the dual system. going to keep the big old drum brakes. was told by a friend to stay away from the brake shops,have a shop thats into restorations do the change over . think i met you at the goldstein buick show in albany, ny last june.i'm in the yankee chapter buick club in ct. 4 bufords from ct

Yes, we did meet. You have the white convertible? Sorry to hear about your hip. How much longer before you're back in shape?

I agree with your friend about not going to any of the brake shops. I've seen some sorry stuff from some of those places. You need a hot rod shop to do this overhaulin stuff, but careful about turning em loose on your car. Sometimes they get carried away with projects and you wind up way beyong what you intended.

Several years ago I brought my 56 to a custom shop to have one brake line replaced on the torque tube. When I went to pick it up they billed me for $160.00. I was anoyed and asked how one line ( mostly straight mind you) could possibly cost that much. Turns out they changed all the brake lines except the two on the rear axle banjo ( which were the two that I would not have minded being changed).

Guest 4 bufords

john,i didn't have a car in albany.i bought my 62 convert in august from a guy from granville,ny at a hemmings cruise. like my friend said.midas and some other brake shops hire young guys without knowledge of the older cars. john,your 56 is very nice. 4 bufords,also restoring a 57 super 4 door hardtop

Guest 4 bufords

john,if everything goes to plan i'll try to make the mansfield show. going to wildcat reunion in ky in may and planning on going to ames in july,4 bufords from ct

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 4 bufords

john and jerry a talked to the parts guy at summit yesterday,said they had the mastercylinder, and booster in black for a lot less than the chrome units.also had the rod kit. should order the parts next week and hope our weather warms up. by the way jerry,saw a picture of yor car on here in members rides.nice thanks for getting back to me on the phone a while back guys,hope to meet someday,4 bufords

Guest 4 bufords

just got the old mc and pb booster off the 62.the booster was full of fluid. ordered the new stuff from summit about 20 minutes ago,should be here by thursday/friday.hope the weather stays warm enough to work in the garage. will let you guys know how this works out. 4 bufords from ct