fuse panel

Joseph44

Hi Everyone: I feel out of place posting here I don't have an antique buick must wait till 2013 but starting early. Anyway I have a 1983 electra prk ave all the bells and whistles I have 2 questions where can I get hold of a good engine and chassis harness routing schematic? I have a lot of wires at the fuse block and I'm not sure where they all go can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance I really appreciate the help!!!!

Hi Everyone: I feel out of place posting here I don't have an antique buick must wait till 2013 but starting early. Anyway I have a 1983 electra prk ave all the bells and whistles I have 2 questions where can I get hold of a good engine and chassis harness routing schematic? I have a lot of wires at the fuse block and I'm not sure where they all go can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance I really appreciate the help!!!!

You need a factory chassis service manual and electrical manual. Used copies are on ebay regularly. Literature vendors also sell these items.

Guest Robin Coleman

If all other sources fail do a search for Helm, Inc. They are the largest supplier of factory service manuals there is. These manuals are the same ones dealers use. Not cheap, but light years ahead of what Auto Zone offers. Expect a price around $100.00.

If all other sources fail do a search for Helm, Inc. They are the largest supplier of factory service manuals there is. These manuals are the same ones dealers use. Not cheap, but light years ahead of what Auto Zone offers. Expect a price around $100.00.

Helm rarely has manuals that far back. Used versions of the factory manuals can be bought on auction sites or at swap meets for substantially less than new. Right now there are several on ebay, ranging in price from $36 to $75 for the full set. Note that there are two volumes, so beware of auctions that only list one of the two. Of course, if you have some time, you can probably buy the two individual volumes separately for less total money. For example, one of the second volumes is currently listed at $8.99.

Hi Everyone: I feel out of place posting here I don't have an antique buick must wait till 2013 but starting early. Anyway I have a 1983 electra prk ave...

Good news! For the AACA (and most state's DOT registration requirements as well) an "antique car" is defined as being 25 years old. Your car qualified as an "antique" last year.

Also, if you're having trouble finding a set of factory manuals (or not) you might also want to keep an eye out for an older Haynes manual for your car. Most of the older Haynes manuals (which have line drawings of cars on the cover instead of photos like the new ones do) have comprehensive wiring diagrams in the back. They're left out of the newer books. Some larger Chilton manuals may have them as well.

Chilton & Haynes books frequently are easier to use, even if they are far simpler and limited in scope relative to the factory books, since they're written for home mechanics and not someone with all the facilities of a repair shop at hand.

However 1980s Buick manuals are very common on eBay. You shouldn't have much trouble finding one.

Hi Joe and thanks alot for that information I did get 2 shop manuals from e-bay but the fuse

panel section is not real clear. There are wires hanging there and I'm not real sure what should go where. I live in Fl. and I was told at dmv the vehical had to be 30yrs.old now to be an antique I will double check and let you know. Thanks again I appreciate it!!!

Hi Joe and thanks alot for that information I did get 2 shop manuals from e-bay but the fuse

panel section is not real clear. There are wires hanging there and I'm not real sure what should go where.

Joe,

The wiring to the fuse panel should be delineated on the wiring diagram for the car in the shop manual. It will be in schematic form, not a a photo, but it should show which color wires attach at the #1, #2, etc. position on each side.

If the diagram isn't helpful, you might try looking for a similar car in your local junk yard. You could take a photo, take notes, or even (if they allow) go to a U-Pull-It type lot and buy a fuse block, cutting the wires far enough back to identify the colors of the attached wires.

Also if you post this question on the Buick Club forum I'm sure someone there has first hand knowledge of the wiring and may even be able to post a photo for your use.

Joe,

Having been a service rep for Buick in the 80's, my first question is does the car have any aftermarket anything???? The reason I ask that is because if it does have things like alarm system, remote keyless entry, remote starter, etc..... I would remove them all before I tried to do any diagnosis. There were/are a lot of extremely poor installations of that stuff that causes all types of problems and the problems increase where one of the modules go bad. Then if you go to section 8A in the manual, there should be a pin out of the fuse block to get you going.... but check for non factory wiring first and remove that first. Good luck.

Hi Larry and thanks for the information as far as I can see everything is factory except maybe

the theft system. I have the shop manuals I'll look again if I can't make heads or tales I will do what you suggested. Thanks for you reply I appreciate your help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys: Sorry I didn't get back right away. I'm directing this anyone who can help me. I have the shop manuals for 1983 buick prk ave only problem is I have no section 8A starts at section 8B if any one can help me with sec. 8A I would really appreciate it send it to my e-mail but please don't send it in( zip ).

Thanks in advance !!!