1955 Olds Rocket Engine Specs

Mike Markin

Ok - I was a little quick on the draw there. I compared the specs at both sites and there is some difference - both are 324 CI but the compression ratios are different as is the BHP by significant differences. What am I missing?

Also, the fellow that I bought the engine from told me it was a 55 Rocket and it is a Rocket. I believe him but how does one know the year it was made? You can tell this part of the restoration process is a bit out of my experience. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Guest Jim_Edwards
Ok - I was a little quick on the draw there. I compared the specs at both sites and there is some difference - both are 324 CI but the compression ratios are different as is the BHP by significant differences. What am I missing?

Also, the fellow that I bought the engine from told me it was a 55 Rocket and it is a Rocket. I believe him but how does one know the year it was made? You can tell this part of the restoration process is a bit out of my experience. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Differences in the '56 verses '55 324 c.i. engines include, higher lift cam shaft, different valve springs, and different distributor in the '56. The only way to tell the difference in the two years is by the serial numbers since the differences are all internal with exception of the distributor. On a quick visual the '56 distributor cap is held in place by screws the '55 not.

also, ...The heads are a little different on the 56 for improved hi-rpm flow. Those heads have a large number 10 casted onto the center exhaust port...the 55 324 has a big number 8 there.

56 had a bigger diameter cam journal size, so a 49-55 cam won't fit the 56.

you did not say if you were going to hop it up? If so, lots of sellers will list a vintage aftermarket intake manifold as fitting "303 and 324" or "49-56". That is not really the case due to the smaller head ports on the 303. A 324 will bolt onto the 303 head and not leak, but a poor match for flow due to a large intake runner trying to go through a much smaller head port. If you put a 303 intake on a 324, the manifold won't seal at the top of each port..... there are ways to make it work, though ;)

• 3 months later...
Guest pete324rock

Mike are you familiar with the H.A.M.B. Jalopy Journal ? Put that in a search engine to get the site....there is a wealth of olds old school hot rodders and lots of old olds hot rod lovers!

might nbe hard to find in a search.Here is a link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/

The forum is where the info is....

Edited by pete324rock (see edit history)