Need help moving my new project

Guest rmbarnes

Guest rmbarnes

Hello I am new to the forum so hope i am posting in the right place. I just got a deal on a 1950 cheverolet Deluxe. $500.00 and it is a complete original car with minimal rust decent looking paint and was running when parked several years ago. I have never seen a driveshaft setup like this car and i can not get the rearend to spin. Dont know if i have a brake problem or if the rearend is locked up. Any expert suggestions on getting it to move? I am planning to trailer it back home to South Carolina from Florida and cant get it on the trailer.

YOU CAN EITHER PULL THE DRUMS OFF, REMOVE THE DRIVESHAFT OR POSITION THE CAR AT THE EDGE OF THE TRAILER AND HOOKUP A TOW CHAIN TO THE CAR AND DRAG IT UP WITH A TRUCK. YOU MIGHT ALSO CHECK TO SEE IF IT IS SOMEHOW STUCK IN GEAR.

Assuming this isn't something as simple as the car's being in gear, or the emergency brake being engaged, then you need to get this car home before you can delve into the rear end gears or brake drum. Possibly, you need to buy a pair of car dollies like these:

cwd_lrg.jpg These can be had as cheaply as $50-60 at an internet store, but with luck a local car parts place may have some in stock.

Just jack the rear of the car up, slip the dollies in place, and you can get the car up on the trailer.

When you get home, pull the rear brake drums (you may need a heavy duty puller for these) and see if the brakes have locked up. Possibly the emergency brake has frozen in place over the years. You can try to loosen the brake shoes using an adjusting tool inserted through the access hole on the backing plate.

Guest rmbarnes

How do you undo the driveshaft on this bad boy? Do I just undo the bolts around the tube and slide it foward to get the driveshaft out?

Guest rmbarnes

How do i adjust the brakes. I see the two covers at the top near the wheel cylinder and when I removed the covers I dont see anything to really adjust to bring the shoes in.

Dan I am from Centenary SC about halfway between the beach and Florence. I am always wrenching on something and finding parts etc. So look me up and maybe we can help each other find parts

Guest simplyconnected

rm, can you get ahold of a service manual for this Chevy? You're certainly going to need one. Brake adjustment is covered in there.

I had the same problem with a 38 Buick. I applied the same liquid soap and used a come along to drag it up on the trailer.

<O:p

When I got it home, I found out that the trans. was stuck in gear and the motor was frozen up. I cut a short piece of wood and jammed it between the dashboard and the depressed clutch pedal and it rolled freely.

Guest rmbarnes

Well i got the car loaded on the trailer. The brake drums were seized up and i finally got one off and unlocked them if you will. Will post pictures of it soon. It is a complete and original car that still looks really good and the price i got it for was a steal. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Glad to hear you were successful in getting it onto the trailer. :)

At least you didn't have to take one tire off of one side on the front and angle it in and then put the tire back on. And then take the opposite tire off of the rear and do the same thing to get it onto the trailer. :eek:

We had to do that when the guy came summer before last to buy our Legends race car. He had measured to make sure it would fit on his open trailer. He forgot to take off the amount for the racks on each side of the rear that holds the ramps. :rolleyes::D OOPS!!!! :P

Please do post some photos of your new toy. :)