frame dropped!

Guest deerslayer1952

Guest deerslayer1952

the number 2 and 3 insulators(bushings) that hold the frame to the body gave loose on both sides of the front end leaving me grounded yesterday does anyone know were I can buy replacements?

john 91 coupe

Guest palosfv3

The bolts holding the subframe to the unibody are strech limit fasteners and should be replaced any time the old bolts are removed. I have seen these bolts fail if reused and result in a similar condition as on your car. As far as the bolts and bushings go they should still be available through GM. Not made aftermarket as far as I'm aware of. You appear to have a problem that goes beyond the bushings.

A few years ago I bought a '91 in Michigan that the same thing happened to. The lady was driving it and all four of the rear bolts broke and the cradle dropped down and pulled the steering shaft out of the column.

The car was still driveable so I drove it straight up onto my car dolly and brought it home. I replaced the bolts and drove the car for several years. I still have the car and it is driveable. The problem is in northern climates the salt gets to the bolts where they go through the mounts and the salty water stays there and rusts the bolts. This also happens on the rod going forward on the lower control arms.

I replaced the bolts with some used ones from one of my parts cars but I would think any hardened metric bolt would work.

The insulators or bushings are actually called a "cushion" by GM and they are still available. The part number for the cushions is 1627359.

The are found in the parts book in section 9.023.

The same years W-body cars (e.g., my old Regal) had the same problem. There was actually a recall (NHTSA #97V058000) to replace the rear cradle bolts and retainers. The symptoms are exactly like what Jim described:

Description

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES AND MINI VANS ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE FOLLOWING STATES: CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MAINE, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WISCONSIN. THE REAR CRADLE BOLTS PULL THROUGH THE RETAINERS DUE TO CORROSION OF THE RETAINER. IF BOTH BOLTS PULL THROUGH, THE REAR CRADLE WOULD NOT LONGER BE SUPPORTED AT THESE MOUNTING LOCATIONS AND THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT CAN SEPARATE FROM THE STEERING GEAR.

Consequence

IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS IN MOTION, A VEHICLE CRASH COULD RESULT.

Remedy

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE REAR CRADLE BOLTS AND RETAINERS.

Potential Units Affected

Interestingly, the Reatta was not part of the recall...

(Since my Regal was originally registered in Illinois, and I now live in California, the dealer who did the work had never done the recall before mine. They didn't have the parts in stock, so had to order them.)

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Guest palosfv3

You should use the bolts from GM. Changing the bolts to a harder or softer alloy can screw with the srs deployment thresholds and affect the way the structure manages the energy transfer in a collision situation.