AACA Mid-South Region Show August 1974

tbird

I'm really hoping someone can help me. I own an all origianl 1960 Olds 98 convertible in white with the tri-color red interior. Yes it really is original down to the paint and chrome. I have owned it for 15 years. I have never been able to trace the ownership back. I purchased the car in New Hampshire. One thing I found in the car, down in the recess of the left rear 1/4 panel inside the trunk is a third place trophy from the A.A.C.A. Mid-South Region auto show that was held on August 10th and 11th 1974. In searching your region map, I see that your mid south region is in Memphis Tenn. I find it parculliar that a 14 year old car, at the time, would be in a show. I don't think the 50's cars were "in" yet at that time. I'm hoping that someone will know someone who had a car like mine, or better yet, know someone that was at that show. The only bit of info that I have about former ownership is that possibly the male owner may have had a first name that could of been male or female. The farthest back I can trace the car to is a dealer in New Hampshire named Fred Miller. Any tid bit of info would be greatly appreciated. A photo of the car can be found on the 1960olds forum. I can be reached at vieiramotors@comcast.net or 603-483-2355. Thanks again. Dennis Vieira / Auburn, New Hampshire

post-35463-14313813555_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Thanks Bob. There must be someone in the club that was around back then, or is familiar with the Memphis area hobby scene! I have a hard time believing, with a club this big, that there isn't someone who knows. Dennis Vieira

I have a hard time believing, with a club this big, that there isn't someone who knows.

You might try contacting one of the Mid-South Region officers and have them ask at their next meeting. Not all the members follow this forum regularly.

Don

Dennis, I was reading recently a description of when A.A.C.A. admitted cars of various years to the shows. A 14-year old 1960 car would not have been eligible for entry in a 1974 show, I'm virtually certain. (A.A.C.A. headquarters in Hershey, Pa. could verify that statement.)

It could be that the owners of your good-looking 1960 Oldmobile owned a diffferent car which they entered in 1974--and that, if the 1960 Olds was at the show, it was just transportation.

John,

You may be right, as I have thought of that as well. However, if the car was something different at the time, like an actual Pace Car... that may have been a different story. One way or another, I'll keep searching. Thanks again. Dennis

Bob, The trophy reads: 1st line "A.A.C.A. Mid-South Region Auto Show" 2nd line "August 10 and 11 1974" 3rd line "Third Place". It has a brass era car at the top. The center and base is marble. It was made by a company called Emblem and Badge. The only Chapter AACA has listed as Mid-South is in Memphis Tenn. Thanks for the in-put. Dennis

• 5 months later...