Warner-T9

Guest Diamond Jim

Guest Diamond Jim

Hey all. I'm looking for information on a transmission in my 1932 Diamond-T. I believe it is a Warner and the numbers on the tranny are T9-LG or perhaps T9-1G or even maybe T9-IG..... any info would be good.... Thanks...

That is most likely a Borg Warner T9 1G. My 36 Divco uses the same transmission. The one in my truck actually had a major crack in the case due to a slight issue of water standing in the trans. I was lucky enough to find out that my machinist just happened to have one all rebuilt and ready to install in his shop. He had removed it from his 37 Indiana. After driving his truck he decided it was not geared the way he wanted. Being a very talented guy he modified a completely different trans for his need which left the Borg available. Sorry it's sold.

My point being the T 9 was used for several years and in different manufacturers vehicles. If you have a specific problem or question about yours I could put you in touch with him. Once he lays his magic hands on something it is always better than new. I have seen gasket sets listed on ebay for them as well.

Good luck

post-60266-143138129477_thumb.jpg

Edited by msmazcol
add photo (see edit history)

Guest Diamond Jim

Thanks very much for your reply. The casting numbers are difficult to read while the tranny is still in the truck. I have yet to try out the transmission. It was only last week that I got the hercules JXA engine to fire, it is a complete engine (minus the air cleaner) and only needing freshing up....plugs, points rotor and cap, new fuel. I'm in the process of disassembling to the frame and then building it back up again. The Transmission looks good as far as I can tell. It still has oil in it and shifts. I'll certainly keep your guy in mind in case I have issues with this transmission when I do finally drive it. What I don't know is the shift pattern or how many gears it has??? I'll be anxious to try it out for the first time when I reassemble the truck...... Thanks again Jim

Sounds like your trans will be fine. They are built really tough not like the tin shifters we have now. The thing that did my Borg in was the cab roof was so bad on the truck it allowed water to run down the stick and into the case. That's what you get when you rescue stuff from behind a barn!

The T 9 in my Divco is a four speed. Low 1 is so slow that the owner use to let the truck idle through the farm field as they walked alongside. I'm not sure about the pattern either. That will pan out a bit down the road when it can see the light of day again.

Guest Diamond Jim

Thanks again for your info.... I'll remember the leak thing when I rebuild my cab. Right now all I have to go by is pictures of what the roof should look like. I've got the windshield, doors and back....but the roof is missing so I'll have to wing it. Right now I'm thinking I'll make the shape as close to original as possible and then cover it with fiberglass.... Thanks again

• 11 years later...
On 11/5/2009 at 7:35 PM, msmazcol said:

That is most likely a Borg Warner T9 1G. My 36 Divco uses the same transmission. The one in my truck actually had a major crack in the case due to a slight issue of water standing in the trans. I was lucky enough to find out that my machinist just happened to have one all rebuilt and ready to install in his shop. He had removed it from his 37 Indiana. After driving his truck he decided it was not geared the way he wanted. Being a very talented guy he modified a completely different trans for his need which left the Borg available. Sorry it's sold.

My point being the T 9 was used for several years and in different manufacturers vehicles. If you have a specific problem or question about yours I could put you in touch with him. Once he lays his magic hands on something it is always better than new. I have seen gasket sets listed on ebay for them as well.

Good luck

post-60266-143138129477_thumb.jpg

Hi msmazcol   I have a 39 Indiana and would love to get in contact with your friend who rebuilt yours. 1 reason is mine is stuck in neutral and 2nd these Indiana's appear to be pretty scarce and would like to see some pictures of his and talk to him about it

Indiana washed 1 copy.jpg

Hi serf2- msmazcol hasn't visited the Forums since 2018 and Diamond Jim since 2010. I don't know how you might contact them. But someone on these Forums can probably answer your questions. Good luck!

Handsome pumper by the way...👍 first glance thought it was in Shenandoah VA livery.