50 ugliest cars of all time - the yahoo list :)

Peter Gariepy

Guest 63Stude

Two others I don't want to skip although they are slightly out of the 50 year bracket are the Packardbakers and the awful 57-58 Studebaker sedans. That 57-58 Studebaker is the ugliest full-size passenger car ever built and the only contender that could come anywhere close to defeating the Aztec for the title of the ugliest, not the awkwardest but the ugliest, vehicle ever built.

I know styling is subjective, but can you really believe those Studebakers are uglier than Nash products of the 1955-57 era? Inboard headlights, no wheel openings, and a speedometer scrunched into a small area of the left side of the dash, then a huge expanse of blank sheetmetal to the right of it? Now that's truly hideous!

I also think full-size Ramblers of the '60-62 era are ugly. The '61 Ambassador, especially. They look like cars from the Eastern Bloc. What's up with that?

I agree the Aztek is horrible. But it would have gotten a better reception if that exact styling came from a Japanese manufacturer.

Bill

Guest Skyking

I agree the Aztek is horrible. But it would have gotten a better reception if that exact styling came from a Japanese manufacturer.

Bill

It just goes to show you what people called ugly in the fifties and what they except today from different manufactures as OK'. It's weird!

Guest DeSoto Frank
Oh, no doubt what so ever, The Pontiac Axtek. They must have hired the Citroen Ami designer, flown him to Michigan, gave him bad drugs, and told him "What will the Ami look like when it grows up?" Free drugs and creative freedom run amuk.

I think you should apologize to Citroen for that comment... ;)

At the least the Ami has something that could arguably be called "styling"; the Aztek is just flat-out hideous.

Period.

(Looks like something the engineering dept might have come-up with after a long-weekend bender...)

A lot of autmotive historians like to characterize the '49-'51 MoPars as "stodgy", and "boxy", and blame Chrysler engineering for their high boxy lines, but even if they weren't as "sexy" as Rocket 88's or Buicks of the same period, they certainly weren't unattractive like the Aztek has managed to be...