Fuel Tap

TonyAus

Please, can anyone help me with a fuel tap for my 1925 series. Like the fool I am, I cross-threaded the outlet when chasing a leak. The leak is now more like a flood!

The tap I need screws under the vacuum pump with a 1/8" NPT thread (tapered). The outlet is 7/16" NF (parallel). It is turned with a clock key type handle.

Now I am held up getting the car registered after a 30-year restoration - how unfortunate (or words to that effect).:(

I can offer a huge reward (relatively speaking) for the right item.

Thanks

Tony

Thanks for that.

However, the stop cocks that McMaster-Carr sell turn at 90 degrees rather than delivering downward - this makes the fuel delivery to the carb rather awkward. I was really after an original type which takes two 90 degree turns.

Someone out there must have one. Now getting desperate.

Tony

Believe it or not, I went to an old auto parts supplier and he had the exact petcock I needed for the bottom of my '25 vacuum tank. Take yours to an independent auto supply store or a old NAPA or Big A store. I found mine at a local privately owned auto supply store (who unfortunately recently closed). I only bought one - cost $11.00.

Commander 1924

I sent you a message but it bounced back - is your address correct?

FMF

I would love to try my local NAPA store, but this is a little difficult in Australia! The problem here is that the local standard for stop cocks is BSP rather than NPT (one thread difference in 1/8'' size and 55 rather than 60 degree form.

I will attempt to attach an image from the Book of Information. The item on the image I need is no 15. At this stage the style has become unimportant. What is important is the thread setup and flow direction - 1/8" male NPT at the top, 1/4" SAE male flare at the bottom (for 1/4" pipe) and downward delivery.

post-44825-143138129636_thumb.jpg

I will get you the right fitting and send it to you if I have to go to Napa myself but I need a better picture of it, your picture is blurry and difficult to read. Maybe someone here can provide a better pict. Im always at Napa anyway so its no big deal for me.

Id rather get you the right looking fitting since this is what would interest me so someone please provide a pict.

I finally figured it out now thanks, that really helped me see it, I guess I prob. wont find an exact match at a local napa from the looks of it but worse case scenario I can send you one that will just work, let me kniow

Thanks for the kind offer Jason. I would appreciate if you could enquire at NAPA for me. However, I have been unable to see anything on their website that might be suitable. The range of fuel fittings they sell (Weatherhead) only seem to be available over the counter - perhaps an individual store may have the offending item.

Please send me a PM and we can discuss suitable recompense.

Regards

Tony

Its no problem, there is no compensation, just tell me in absalute detail what it is you need including thread count and size and anything else you think might help. Explain in childlike terms so I dont screw it up, napa will have what you need, their website is a joke in my opinion, most website that I have come across dont list very well the smaller less expensive items, I have a manager friend though that will find exactely what you need even if it means going outside of Napa which most likely will almost defanitely not be the case here. My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com, you can give me an address where to send the item to.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks again Jason

However, overnight I has a rush of blood to the head. Today I managed to machine off the stripped thread, turn up up a replacement section of 7/16 thread in brass and sweat it onto the tap. Instant success! This will get me through until I can find an exact replacement.

All this goes to show that one should not panic -rather, take some time to think matters through. Don't you love old cars - there is nothing that can't be fixed with a little thought.

Regards and thanks to all

Tony