Another 1990 FS Pearl White? Boston Mass

Guest BJM

1990 Buick Reatta

OK, I saved up some money in a savings account for a different vehicle and now I am checking on other cars I like.

This is another 1990 with pretty low mileage.

Did they make that famous GM pearluscent white color on a Reatta or would this be a repaint?

Anybody in the Boston area can go look at this for me?

Guest re-reatta

Jake,

I like your quote by Harley Earl. I saw shirts at Summit Point Raceway that said, "Wide Open 'Til You See GOD, Then Brake". Words to live , or DIE by.

Because of the few changes, I prefer a 1991 but it really does not make much difference. I prefer the 90-91 dash and ABS changes.

But for me it comes down to color. I prefer the wine/burgandy/pewter and Polo Green.

Guest mongeonman

88 , pearl white,not original paint,it is for sale because i got a 90 convert,hard to sell in Quebec no one knows what a Reatta is.

post-49406-143138127317_thumb.jpg

Mongeonman, timing isn't good for me right now, but I am somewhat interested...at least I wouldn't have to deal with the potential border hassles. I'm sure I've seen information on another thread somewhere....

I'm not a big fan of white, but there just aren't that many Reattas for sale north of the border. There is a convertible not far away, but I already have a convertible driver. It would be nice to have a coupe that I'm not overly excited if I happen to catch some rain.

Every now and again I think it would be nice if all of my cars were white with black trim (four of seven at moment) but I like the triple blue 88 that was the first.

1990 paint code 40 (40U) was "white". Not polar, artic (my favorite), pearlucent, or firemist. Just white.

The ideal pair for me would be a 1988 coupe and a 1991 'vert but am close enough for government work.

BTW what is the problem with bringing a US made car back into the USA ?

It isn't a problem, so much as hassle. If it is less than 15 years old (so, my last generation Riviera is on the cusp), then it has to have a federal inspection and be set to meet Canadian standards (for instance, we required daytime running lights before the US).

Generally, if you have a transporter bring it across the border, they will want you to deal with a broker, who charges a chunk of change to deal with the paperwork. If you want to do it yourself, the car needs to make an appearance at US Customs prior to exit. They need a copy of the title for 72 hours before the border crossing. Presumably, they are just verifying against stolen cars and the like being exported. Crossing the Canadian border is easy...just pay the sales tax (don't get me started on sales taxes for used equipment) and away you go.

I guess it comes down to personal experience - the cars I have purchased locally that I could see and make a decision about, and not have shipping costs to add in, have been the deals I have been the happiest with. Cars that I have brought from a distance have been less positive experiences...I didn't see the cars myself (one I had a very thorough description though from a forum member) and paid to have them shipped - different companies each time, but hassles existed with the shipping each time.

Particularly for cars that aren't high value, shipping makes a significant change in the price - it is different paying say $2k to ship a car that costs $20k than one that starts at $1k or $2k.

Guest Richard D

I guess I was lucky, in 1980 I bought a 1978 Chevy crew cab dually Silverado from a friend in Toronto. Back then you could not get power windows in crew cabs because they were not available for the rear doors. He had the dealer install power front windows and to say the truck had every option is a fair statement. So I get to the border with the ontario tags still on it and never had to get out of the truck on either side of the border. Once we were in The US the person I bought it from asked how much I had to pay in fees. I told him it never came up and as soon as I got home to Florida I bought a Fl. tag for it. Talk about luck!

BTW It weighed about 7,000 pounds and that 454 would keep up with my brothers new 280 ZX. It also got 6 miles to a gallon, A/C on or off.