Guest Telco

Howdy folks, new member here. I just bought a 1989 Reatta a few days ago. So far I'm pretty happy with it, except for the electronic dash stuff. How involved would it be to remove all the computerized stuff and go with a more standard layout with actual gauges, stereo system and HVAC controls?

Unless you are an electronic whiz, I wouldn't do it. And even if you are it is far easier to fix.

Why don't you tell us what is or isn't happening?

A number of us have extra instrument clusters, headlight and wiper pods, and touch screens.

First step is to open the car and sit in the drivers seat, then close the door, and tell us what lights up when you gewt the "light show." You might want to have the window down so that you can open and close the door while sitting in the seat to keep track of what lights up.

Guest Bobby Valines

Welcome one of the coolest things about the 88and 89 reatta is the computer. Start a new post and ask for help on it. When I first got my car two years ago the connections were bad. Fixed the connections by plugging and un plugging them 10 to 20 times has been working great ever sence.

Edited by Bobby Valines (see edit history)

Well, the car (this car in particular, that is) is junk, but that's OK because that's why I bought it. I was looking for a car to make "mine" and I've always wanted a Reatta, but I have no intention of leaving it stock. For example, it'll eventually be a rear wheel drive, if not an all wheel drive. When that happens it'll most likely be operated with a 411 computer with a modern Chevy V8, which offers unmatched tuning and diagnostics capabilities.

The center pod goes screwy across the bottom, sometimes, like there's a poorly shielded microwave oven operating nearby. Other times it's clear.

Really though, I don't like having a single point of failure on so many different systems, and don't like having to hunt and peck to find what I'm looking for while driving. About the only thing I like about it is the instant and average MPG counter, which I've gotten up to 20MPG in the short time I've had the car. Plus, when cruising at 75MPH it gets about 33MPG according to the instant.

As I modify the car I'll be putting the parts out for sale at a decent price, because even though the stuff is worthless to me it'll be valuable to somebody. Normally I'd just pitch parts I don't want in the trash, but with so few of these cars on the road that wouldn't be the right thing to do.

You have a huge project on your hands. I would like to see it completed. As far as having "normal" guages, you should be able to use an other panal from a like year GM FWD. GM does not like to change up bolt paterns, so you may be in luck, but it will be a lot of yard time to find one. I would start with cadillacs from 85-91.

Well, after finding out the windshield for the car is 2 grand I don't know if I'm going to proceed with this or not. It's going to take some thought. Lack of parts was something that was nagging at the back of my mind, but I didn't think it was that bad. I was surprised that the back glass was less than the windshield. Unfortunately this may mean that the car becomes a work commuter, and when it can't be fixed cheaply anymore goes to salvage (course, I'll offer it up here first when the time comes). It's kind of a bummer, because aside from the front wheel drive the Reatta is the perfect car for my needs.

But yes, a Chevy V8. I know where I am with them. :D