1940 buick Limited 91

Guest brem

Hello all, I am thinking of buying a 40 Limited 91. The car is in oringinal condition. The body is rust free but needs a paint job. All the trim is in place except for 2 small pieces on the side mounts.It has 3 cracked side windows and needs a new interior.It also needs a fuel pump and a battery and tires and brakes. The owner said the moter runs but has a skip.He also said the car was rare?. The tag on the fire wall says 1940 mod 91 style-404919.The seller is asking $5000 for it. Is it worth it in this condition?.This would be my first antique car.Also why does one side of the hood latch say Limited and the other side say Century.,and the center of the streerig wheel say roadmaster.As I am headed where most of you have already been.I would apreciate any sage advice you could give me.My intentions are to make a daliy driver.Thanks for reading this.Bill

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->If you're new to the antique car hobby, and you want to get your feet wet experiencing how enjoyable it is, I don't think this car would be a wise decision for you. It will be very expensive to get it to the point where you'd be happy. You'll have $5-10,000 just in overhauling the engine and getting it road worthy; interior will be at least $8-10,000; dash plastic probably $2,000 (including steering wheel); paint and body work, $10-15,000.

I'd start out with something that needs much less work, which would give you a taste of working on it and fixing it up, and at the same time be able to drive it.

If, on the other hand, you are very skillful and have experience in mechanical work, or body work, painting, etc., and your plan is to do all the work yourself, go for it.

Welcome to the AACA Forum, by the way. I hope you find what you're looking for.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

$5000 for a rare car doesn't sound bad to me. Personally, I only go for the rare ones. The hood latch 'Century' has been replaced, the steering wheel is wrong, it's a later one, possibly '49 or '50. If you handy with tools, and have the time and energy to tackle this one, I would go for it. Since the body is rust free, you have a good start. And, does the motor need to be rebuilt, only you would know that after you test it. What is the skip, could be gas dripping into the carb, which will make it skip, so to say. Go for it, Paul

Paul, I rebuilt me 50 engine for about $3500.00. That was with machine shop work you may not need. I assembled it myself.

As to body work, it will depend on how far you want to go. You can elect to restore to factory condition and, as some have said, have much more in it than what it will ever be worth. Or, as some do, make it mechanically safe and reliable and enjoy. Whatever you decide, dont let OUR likes and dislikes discourage you. Cost is only one thing to consider. After all it is a hobby. I know folks that spend obscene amounts just to go fishing.

Whatever, keep us posted.

Ben

There were only 417 of these made. It doesn't get a whole lot rarer than that.

Ultimately it comes to what you desire for the car, and how much time and money you want to invest in it. From my experience, the first numbers for costs are high, but wouldn't necessarily be out of line for a worst case scenario.

These straight 8s are nice smooth torquey engines. This car would be a pleasure to drive in, especially on the highway.

If you look at a site like nadaguides.com, you can get a retail value for a restored car. Restored properly, it would get their "high retail" value, which is listed just under $50k. Of course, it is a guide, not an absolute measure of value.

Good luck coming to a decision.