How do YOU pronounce "Derham"

mrpushbutton

Twice while I was at Hershey last week there were situations where the name "Derham" came up, I pronounce this name "dare-umm", which the parties I was conversing with mis-interpreted as "Darrin" and corrected me by saying "Durham" pronounced "Duur-umm", as in "Bull Durham" or "Raleigh Durham", the city in North Carolina.

I look at "Der" and do not see or hear "Dur". Is this just habit? was that the (locally inflicted pronounciation in Rosemont PA?

It's a minor thing, but I just don't get the heavy "U" sound in that spelling.

What do you see when you look at the word "under"?

Keiser--I take that into account, but in these conversations I looked at the person speaking, and saw how their lips were formed, a definate formation for a "U" and a long (uniformly)"U" at that. The pronouncation of "der" in "Under" results in a "U" sound, but a very short one.

It's no big deal, I don't lose sleep over it, it just has ne curious.

Guest Trunk Rack
Twice while I was at Hershey last week there were situations where the name "Derham" came up, . . . . . It's a minor thing, but I just don't get the heavy "U" sound in that spelling.

I DISAGREE. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS " a minor thing". To say that how you pronounce a long dead name is a "minor" thing, would suggest it has even SOME significance.

We are still a free country. We dont (yet) have a POLITICALLY CORRECT POLICE Dept. Until we do, I pronunce what I want, the way I like it.

Been in a few bar fights over the years when i was a young punk in the service. Won a few..and, to be fair....lost a few more than I won. But to date, ( and admittedly, the evening is still young...!) havn't yet met a guy that much bigger and that much meaner than me, who could tell me how to pronounce old car stuff...!