29 Needs rear brake drums taken off

Guest NAandME

Guest NAandME

Hello I have a 2 door 29 and i am fixing the brakes rebuilt master clynder and front wheel clynders but cant seem to get rear wheels (Drums) to come off axle. Is there a special tool needed (gear puller). Also would like to find a service book if one is out there. Let me know please 765 748-9731 Thanks Mark

I don't know if your 29's drums are similar to my 32's but here's what I use for mine. It's a KD 2271 drum puller that's pretty universal, I would think.

First you take off the cotter pin and castellated nut on the end of the axle. Then the hooked ends of the puller's arms grasp the outer flange on the drum, the central screw is turned down to engage the indentation in the end of the axle, and tension is put on the drum by tightening the screw. You don't want to put too much tension on the rim or you'll distort it. The handle on the screw is intentionally designed to be small so you can't.

Then you take a 3-pound hand sledge and give the hub a few raps radially around its circumference until the drum pops free. My axles are tapered and keyed and when I reassemble, I lightly coat the axle with white grease.

post-61720-143138117937_thumb.jpg

Guest NAandME

Thank you very much Phil I was pretty certain I needed to get some sort of puller now I have the picture I will get one and be on it in the morning Thanks again Mark

Stick a big screwdriver between tha drum and backing plate, pry out a little while hitting the outside of the drum, move your way around the frum, it will come off eventually.

When I first took my wheels off I knew nothing of a wheel puller. I took a scrap of 2 x 4 (after taking cotter pin and nut off) and placed it over the hub and started tapping the scrap with a mallet. The scrap saved the threads and the wheel came off eventually. This did take awhile as I was afraid to damage anything by tapping too hard; a wheel puller sounds like it may be easier.

If you apply the drum puller properly (i.e. don't over-tighten it by using an extension on the built-in purposely puny handle) you shouldn't worry about distorting those thick old drums.

But, if the drum is really stuck on, it might be necessary to try a more robust (at a more robust price!) hub puller like this one on the lug bolts as a next step.

Also, if your drums are worn enough to have a lip that's hanging up on the shoes, you may need to contract the shoes before the drum will slide off.

post-61720-14313811827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

Guest clare30

Guys,

What about using a hub puller and only a hub puller. If the car is a 29 Dodge it will have pressed steel drums not cast steel and very possibly you will distort the drum as well as the backing plate trying to fit any type of puller arms between drum and backing plate. The centre of the brake drum where it attaches to the axle is threaded, remove the axle nut then screw the hub puller on. This is the only safe way I know of.

Regards Clare30.

Guest NAandME

I want to thank everyone who has given so much valuable info to me. I am making a wheel knocker which will screw on the axle about a 1/2 inch and then you hit it which then frees the wheel from the axle the knocker will also protect the threads of the axle and the axle itself. Thanks to all and thanks to Jack for all the info. I will let you all know how the tool works out later in the week. Thanks Mark (naandme)