1935 DODGE 4dr MODS

Guest biztat2s

Guest biztat2s

Anyone know what engines could be transplanted in a 1935 Dodge Sedan without interfering with the factory steering? I have the original 85 horse flat 6.. suppose I could get it running again but want more power. I have seen these cars with 440's in them..I was hoping to put a 318 or 360 in it with minimal fabrication..and maybe without cutting the firewall...?

Guest biztat2s

Chevy and/or Ford only as a last resort.

I want to keep it as much Dodge as possible.

I may have to find a newer straight 6, so I hopefully won't have to cut the firewall. the car is in good condition for a full restoration later. For now I just want a sweet old heap that will raise a little hell when I want it to.

Edited by biztat2s (see edit history)

How about finding a mid to late 50's flat six rated around 130 hp. It'll bolt right up and give you plenty of power.

Go to this forum for some ideas for your flattie.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?p=157736#post157736

And here too for more power out of your flattie. No torching required.

http://www.50plymouth.com/04-eng/eng.html

Edited by Reg Evans (see edit history)

Guest biztat2s

I've been told that it is hard to find parts for these old engines. I have found a place carrying rebuild kits for the '35 DU. Thats fine and all..but what happens if something should break? Where do i find parts? This is one reason I wanted to drop something a little newer in..so I can actually find junkyard parts..

You are already playing with an old car but fortunately for you the parts are readily avaliable for your car both body parts and running gear. Try restoring a Moon and looking for parts. What you are proposing will turn into a nightmare. If you put a larger engine in you will have to change out the entire drive train including brakes, radiators, and wheels. Trust me I have built rods out of junk and unless you know what you are doing it is a large and expensive undertaking. Stick with stock and you will have more fun and you will be able to get your money and time back.

Guest biztat2s

I'm pretty sure radiator and brakes will be getting replaced anyway. There's a guy here in town that fabs radiators..and I have a 93 towncar that I may steal a few things from to "update" brakes and maybe suspension..the towncar has air adjustable suspension. Also I have a 2001 Dakota Lowrider, and if it doesn't sell soon, I will be taking the airbags and rear out of it..also lots of nice interior components that might find a home in the '35...hmm..could i post dakota pics here?

How about buying a car that some other jackass has cut up and streetrodded and leave your original car to someone that has enough common sense to leave it original. You will save money and a lot of headache.