1931 Pickup Running Great!

Guest Don Meredith

Guest Don Meredith

Thanks to the input I received on this board, my 31 pickup is running and driving great. I put about 10 miles a week driving around town running chores, (they really love it at the feed store and I do haul feed in it) The only problem I have is that after it's warmed up, if I let it idle for extended periods of time (like talking to someone while I'm sitting idling) it will spit and die. I let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes, it cranks right up and gets me home alright. I do have a metal inline fuel filter and no sediment bowl. It seems to be heat related. Any ideas? Thanks for any help...Don

Don-

I suspect it is the fuel boiling in the fuel line and in the carb while the engine sits there idling. With ethanol being added to fuel, it boils easily. The fact that it starts right up when it cools off tells you it is heat related. I would suggest putting some thermal insulation over the fuel line and perhaps a couple more carb-to-intake manifold gaskets to reduce heat conduction down from the manifold. (Someone also sells a phenolic spacer to put in there, but I do not recall who right now.) Let us know if that makes any difference, before you put the side bowl filter on.

Jim,

Yes, that should work, but why modify it if going back to the original configuration will work fine? It gets plenty hot here in Southeastern NC, and I know of no one locally who has this problem with their Model A with the stock fuel delivery system.