Console Lid Re-Leather

Guest lt1larry

Guest lt1larry

Does anyone have a good source for re-upholstering the center console lid? I have a triple-black 1990 TC and the seats are passable but the console leather is ripped and worn. Foam is still good. A local auto upholstery shop wants about $250 to do the job. Maybe that's the best I can expect, but I thought I's ask.

Other option would be a good used lid - any out there???

Thanks.

Find another shop quick. I had 4-5 done a couple years ago at $75 each. Finding original Ginger leather was the spendy part of that transaction though:o Black should be fairly easy in comparison. GO ahead and ask to see the leather BEFORE the job, if the grain/finish/color match is way off you won't be happy...

Alan

Guest lt1larry

Thanks for the response, TwinCamFan. Actually, the labor in that quote was only $85, the rest was leather. I saw a sample of the leather and it was a good match (as much as you could tell from a 1 inch square). So, I guess the question is whether or not $150 - $175 is reasonable for the leather????

I realize it was over 20 years ago, but at my trim shop that was a $50.00 job including the leather. Many of the armrests that have been recovered have been done in a good quality vinyl.. Good Luck, Lou

I was wondering the same thing, but more for the dash. When I bought my TC the leather that runs along the top of the dash had come lose and shrank. Any ideas on a way to remedy this, is the existing leather still good and just needs to be pulled or should I replace all the leather on the dash? Cant imagine that being overly cheap or anything?

Guest lt1larry

MazingHL - Sent you an eMail with some pictures. Thanks for the help.

{TC}DH - I think that's a chronic problem with TCs. Mine has it too. I was thinking about just getting a strip of matching leather or vinyl and adhereing it to the area just to hide the problem. You might be able to pull it back into place, but it looks like a major job getting the dash apart. There's probably someone reading this forum that has done it. You might want to start a new thread on the question.

Good luck.

Larry

1990 V6 Auto TC, Triple-Black

1971 Corvette LT-1

1993 Jaguar XJ6 VDP

Guest docinvestments

I have available a like new original black center consol that I removed from my 1990 TC. I could let you have it for $175 plus shipping/handling/postage(would have to find box and ship preferably at FedEX)

Where do you live?

docinvestments@yahoo.com

214.914.5078(dallas texas)

Sincerely,

Doc

I have tried to re-stretch the dash leather but the reason it shrank was exposure to heat and sunlight. Not only did it shrink, but it is all but dry-rotted. I tried oiling and conditioning the leather extensively for weeks before stretching it and it still tore. The collagen fibers in the leather are simply too dried out to remain cohesive. Unfortunately, new leather is your best bet.