Oh boy, almost afriad to ask...

Guest adam_knox

Guest adam_knox

So my daily driver finally got put to sleep last week.:( On the hunt for a driver to last until May, with the possibility of keeping it longer. Going on a limb here, but how bad would it be to get a small 60's car, like a Metropolitan, and drive it here (Wisconsin) during the winter. We use salt on our roads here, and the car would be parked in the road. Thought perhaps I could come across a cool car and thought maybe one winter wouldn't kill it. Coat the underside with grease or something?:confused:

Okay. I'm ready for the onslaught of opinions!:P

........a big no. There are alot of nook & crannys under a Met that don't like salt. If you find a rust free one, I't would be a shame to subject it to those conditions. It would rust fast. Most of them were undercoated by the dealers and believe me, it didn't help much.

With that said, you wouldn't be disappointed driving one for the summer months.

Guest adam_knox

Well thanks gang for knocking some sense back into me (esp. appreciate the tips on the Mets). Looks like I'm on the hunt for a modern beater again!

Well thanks gang for knocking some sense back into me (esp. appreciate the tips on the Mets). Looks like I'm on the hunt for a modern beater again!

Yeah, take a look at Skyking's AVATAR photo and you will see he know what he is talking about regarding Mets. You could probably write what he doesn't know about them on the head of a pin. :D

Guest DeSoto Frank

Susan - did you just say that Skyking "was a big pin-head?":D

Seriously folks, old cars and weather are not a good combo.

Road salt will kill ANY, especially antiques.

I would not consider having a "nice" car, if I could not park it in a garage.

Sun (UV) & rain are almost as destructive as road salt. Have seen it happen to my some of my own vehicles.

Mets and other Ramblers are great non salt-weather drivers ( they do have one of the best heaters ever ! ).

Also, if your looking for a daily driver, you'll want something that you can find parts for fairly easily, rather than scour e-bay / wait a week to get your car back on the road.

Older Chevys and MoPars (slant-six) are great, durable drivers... Hondas and Toyotas run forever, it's the bodies that go first.