Anyone have 63-65 remote mirror mounting plate

Guest Scotsbass

Guest Scotsbass

Hi,

Having just bought a good condition remote mirror on eBay for my new 64, I've now discovered that it's missing the interior mounting plate (the small metal square that the toggle control sticks out of on the inside of the door).

Additionally, I'm not sure if there is another similar piece on the inside of the door that the other fixes to .

So, does anyone have one spare that they might be willing to sell, or know where I could find one?

Kind regards

Keith

It just screws to the door as best I remember it when I installed one on the passengers side of my '64. I used a hole saw and a drill to cut the hole. I suggest going from the outside of the panel through as it'll mess the wood up less and has more recognizable landmarks.

Keith,

My '64 chassis manual shows "Remote controll outside mirror installation" in section 11-158, figure 11-192. On that page it shows one illustration for installation on the 4400/4600/4800 series cars and a separate one for the 4700 series cars.

On the illustration for the 4400-4600-4800 series cars, it shows the use of two "U" nuts on the interior trim panel as anchors for the screws. The illustration for the 4700 series, shows a cutaway across the hole in the inner door panel (steel.) The screws are shown, but there are no "U" nuts. I'm assuming that on the Riv, the screws fasten directly into the inner door panel (not the trim panel.) The orientation of the cables is Yellow at 6 o'clock, green at 9 o'clock, and red at 3 o'clock; and the screws at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock. HOWEVER, the illustration (same in the '63 chassis manual) shows a round inner plate, through which the screws go, and a round snap on cover to hide the screws. Not what you describe, nor what is on my '63 or '64. :confused:

Perhaps it would be worth the time,to take the door skin off and see what kind of holes/stampings are on the inner side of the door. While you're in there, clean out all the debris, and lube all the window regulators. ;)

This is an example of why the trim tag with a factory mirror would have an S7 on it. Some one on the assembly line was responsible for drilling a couple of holes for the screws, and opening the inner door for routing of the cable.

Call Larry Daisy - he's listed in the restoration resources on the ROA website - and see what he has for what you're missing. While you have him on the phone, ask him how it mounts.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Mark Wardle

Hi Keith,

Is this the part you're looking for? This one I removed from a 64 Riv in a wrecking yard 20 years ago. I have no use for it, so you're welcome to it for the cost of mailing as my car is a 63 and uses the oval shaped bracket.

Let me know,

Mark

ROA#1149

post-58195-143138112467_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scotsbass

Thanks Mark, I really appreciate this and I've mailed you privately to sort out the details.

Kind regards

Keith

PS- if it doesn't come through hit me up here and I'll sort it out.