replacement vinyl top suppliers

Guest dcdpgh

Who produces authentic looking replacement vinyl tops for second generation Rivieras? I'm in the market for a correct double seam, Lavant grain vinyl top in black.

Place like OPG and Year One have have them for A bodies, but not for Riviera.

Ideas? Thanks.

Try ACME Auto Headlining in Long Beach, CA. They say they don't sell retail, but they advertise in the Riview. I used to market headliners for them many moons ago, and they had vinyl top listings in their catalog. The Levant of old has been replaced by something similar, but not exact.

ACME used to sell a kit that would extend the vinyl top on boat tails below the rear window onto the spear on the trunk lid. It came with vinyl, padding, adhesive, and stainless trim that matched the OEM stuff. I saw pictures but never saw one in person.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

My next move was to page thru the Riview, but also wanted to ask here since many have already "been there-done that" before me.

From what I've seen of the Levant now available, it seems to have a "fuzzy" backing. I understand the factory vinyl would not have had this. When you say the Levant grain sold today is not exactly like the original, can you elaborate? The samples I've looked at seem very very close.

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan,

If your car still has the original top on it, you might be able to see that the levant grain had rows of overlapping "crop circles" in it when you look at the big picture. The new levant has the same grain, but the circles are not there. I replaced a top on my '70 Skylark and if you didn't know what to look for, you couldn't tell any difference. You might also check with SMS fabrics for your two seam top. I put a two seamer on the Skylark, but I can't rember from whom I got it.

Ed

Thanks guys. I've contacted SMS for a sample. Since posting this I've read on other forums also and SMS seems to get high marks from anyone that mentions them.

Interesting insight on the original Levant grain Ed. My car is currently wearing it's original top, and I've never noticed the overlapping circles. I need to take another look now that I know what to look for.

• 3 weeks later...

SMS delivered on the free sample as advertised. The sample of Levant I received was what I would consider "unbacked", being void of the "fuzzy" backing I keep hearing about.

Material is available by the yard, or pre-patterned and ready to install. I expect to go the pre-pattern route and have installed professionally.

I have not completed the transaction yet, but based on my experence so far I would give SMS high marks on responsivenes and product offering.

I used material from SMS to redo the white vinyl top and aqua vinyl front bucket seats for my 67 Riviera. I have been very pleased with the quality of their product. They also recovered the door panels for my 61 Electra 225, and I was pleased with the job they did.