'50 Control Arm bushing Installation help

Gary_N

I've been rebuilding the front end of 'Yoda' and am now trying to install the lower control arm 'rod' (or pin or whatever you want to call it) that bolts the control arm to the frame and is the control arm pivot point. Anyway, once the rod is slipped into the ends of the control arm, there are two bushings that screw onto each end of the rod through the control Arm. Both the rod and bushings are new.

So on to the questions: The bushings are very tight, like VERY tight and I have to use a 1/2" air gun to screw them on and a lot of lube. I'm also not sure if I have them all the way on since the head of the bushing is not flat against the 'eye' of the control arm. I remember the old bushings were very, very tight when coming off as well. Is this normal?

After cleaning, blasting and painting the control Arms I found one was bent. The distance between the two ends where the 'rod' slips on is supposed to be around 11 1/4". One is 11" inches. Since I need a replacement for this arm, I was thinking that maybe I need to replace both of them. I've already spent way more that I wanted and would rather not buy two control arms if this tight bushing thing is normal.

Anyone have experience here?

Thanks!

Gary

Hi Gary,

I just finished this up on my 55.

If your other control arm is within specs then there is no need to replace it. Just replace the bent one and move on to your next expense ;)

The bushings are vey tight and in my case some exceeded the specified torque to seat them all the way in. It is very important to use the service manual procedure and lock the arm in a vise when installing these so you don't tweak the control arm.

I used GM Lithease on my new bushings and they all started into the arm pretty easy but started tightening up well before the hex was flush up against the control arm. I would suggest that if yours didn't start easy there may be a problem with the threads or bushings themselves (I ended up sending my lower outers back to the vender because they were wrong).

IMHO the bushing is not installed correctly untill the hex is tight up against the control arm but others here with more experience with this may correct me. This was my first one but it just seems logical that the bushing should be installed all the way in.

Good luck,

Rich

Well that makes me feel better. And yes, I've been following the manual. I was thinking that maybe I could heat and bend the bent eye back in shape, but, I'm not sure what affect that may have on the metal, if any. Guess I'll look around for another control arm to see how much they are.

Thanks for the replies.

Gary