Engine Controls Problem Detected?

ReattaPDX

Hi, my 88' Reatta with 65,000 miles has had a problem lately where the "service engine" idiot light comes on briefly as well as the message on the CRT "Engine Controls/Electrical Problem detected". I have also noted a strong exhaust smell that I don't seem to recall before a recent tune-up, nor was I getting any check engine messages previous. The car just had a recent tune-up with new plugs and wires as well as a new fuel filter. Had a new ECM installed within a few thousand miles as well as a new cam sensor.

Right before I had it tuned up a few weeks back it was running a little sluggish so I added some fuel system cleaner. I talked briefly to a fellow who suggested that the fuel system additive might have thrown off the O2 sensor and might take a few tanks of gas to return to normal. He did not notice the strong exhaust smell that I did but maybe I am just being overly sensitive.

I am going to pull the codes this evening when I get home but am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing? The "Service Engine" light has only came on a few times and will generally turn off within a minute or so.

Had a similar message on my CRT awhile back, just prior to the MAF sensor going south on me. As far as the exhaust smell, unless one of the exhaust manifold gaskets is leaking, I'd do a thorough check of the EGR valve & gasket.

I checked the codes and there are no current "E" codes. Just a couple codes related to the Air conditioning system. The car is running fine so unless something catastrophic happens I will not worry too much about it. Thanks for the tips.