Timing light question

Guest old 52

Guest old 52

I just bought a craftsman advance inductive timing light. After reading the instructions, it says you can not use a metal cased timing light on a 6 volt system. Only plastic cased lights. This one says its a chrome housing. I assume this means its metal. Thanks Mike...

00921023000-1?hei=180&wid=180&op_sharpen=1&qlt=75

I would say it has less to do with the composition of the case and more about the voltage requirement of the timing light. I have the light pictured above and have used it many times on my 6-volt car. I just connect the power leads to a 12V battery sitting on the floor instead of the battery in the car.

Regards,

Ron

I like Ron have the exact timing light and use it on my 6 volt truck. Hook the inductive pick up on number one spark plug wire and the two battery connections to a 12 volt battery on the floor. I would guess that the reason that it says not to us a 6 volt power supply is because of the electronics inside of the timing light. I know on mine when hooked up to a 12 volt supply and you pull the trigger you can hear a buzz. This is with the vehicle not running. That is the way that I know the timing light is getting power.

I have the same Sears timing light also. I used to use a 6 volt lantern battery in series with the car's 6 volt battery to operate it. I ran a jumper from the postive terminal of the car battery to the negative terminal of the 6 volt lantern cell and then connected the red clip on the timing light to the positive terminal of the lantern battery. One day I just connected the timing light to the 6 volt car battery and it worked, just not as bright.

Joe, BCA 33493