1928 Master brake drums

pepcak

Hi,

does anybody here have an experience in repairing worn brake drums with external bands? Rear drums on my cars are approx 1 to 2 mils thick, while one front NOS I have acquired is some 5 to 6 mil.

Should the worn circumference be turned down and replaced by new one welded on? Or should it be easier to turn a brand new drum instead? Any other solutions?

Any help appreciated. Josef

Josef.In my Parts Book it seems that you can use rear drums from1924-41-44-45;1925-40-44-44A-45-45A;1926-40-44-45-47;1927-120;1928-120-128.

That would do it easier for you to find a drum.Send me your e-mail address and I will try to help you find a drum here in Sweden.

leife.holmberg@telia.com

Leif in Sweden.

Leif,

thanks for all your help, my email is pepcak@volny.cz. You can also have a look at my web for Buick and other stuff I am playing with, at Pepèova osobní stránka.

Actually I have wire wheels and the wood wheel drums are slightly different (the central and fastening holes do not fit). I plan on to blind the fastening holes and drill new ones, and insert slightly smaller circle into central opening. Do you happen to know if the steel used can be welded?

In such a case I would use at least 2 drums (for rear axle), on the front one I have one NOS for wood wheels and one acceptable original.

Thanks again Josef

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

the drums can be welded easily as the material is "just" sheet metal. Verified on the original one for wooden wheel where I blinded and re-drilled the holes. I am confident I can repair worn ones by welding a short piece of a big pipe on it.

Josef