Freeze Plugs

Guest notworking

Guest notworking

I have a 1956 super red ram engine and one the freeze plugs popped out this last winter. Does anyone know sources for these, the number needed and can I replace them without pulling the engine?

I feel that if one popped the rest might be weak also and I need to drive this car home in two weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry W:confused:

Most parts stores carry brass which is what I would go with and yes, the other plugs could probably stand to be replaced if they are all about the same age as the one you are replacing already. Some of them may be behind an exhaust manifold. I have never removed an engine to replace one, but I have had to remove a transmission to get to the one that is usually on the rear of a MoPar engine. Don't remember if my Super Red Ram had one on the back.

Guest John W. Cina

Just a little nonsense ----- I remember years ago I had a 1969 Rambler American and the rear plug went out ------- so I just chopped a hole in the firewall and popped in a new one!

If you are under the gun and looking for the quick fix how about an expandable freeze plug. I sold them back in the eighties and you could get them in places you could not tap in a normal cup or dish.

They had a hex head you could turn with a wrench and they swelled tightly in the opening.

Good luck.