1941 Buick Carburetion

Guest Earl

I have a '41 Buick Century that I just bought a month or so ago and I just cannot get the carburetors to lean down some on the gas. It keeps wanting to backfire out the tailpipe and rumble around in the exhaust with all the extra fuel that's going through it. And it has very little power. The 320 is a big engine and it really should easily pull the car. And the exhaust smell quite strong of gas.

I did go through both carbs and replace the metering rods, the seats and so forth and adjusted the floats to what they are supposed to be. It has Carter 533s & 534s carburetors on it. The manual says that the float should be at 3/16" and it does not say anything about the float level on the rear carburetor. So, I set it the same. It was set at about twice that when I opened it up. So, I set the rear one back at the lower float level and it still acts the same. I unhooked the acceleration pump to see about giving it more or less stroke and it actually runs and takes off better without it. It has between 90-98 pounds on a compression test and I do have it in time ect. I just can't figure out what I should do from here to sort the thing out. Any ideas? Also, should I get the carberurators professionally re-built? I know these straight 8's are nice running engines, but you wouldn't know it from the way this one acts! I did scare the crap out of gal at a parking lot when I started it up yesterday, it really let one go that time!

It sounds to me that you still have flooding problems. Unhook the back carb and plug the fuel line. If it runs better you have found the problem You may be able to see which carb it is by removing the air cleaner andlooking into the throat while the engine is running.

If it is back firing be careful as you can destroy a muffler VERY easily

Edited by The Old Guy (see edit history)

Well, the fuel pump checks out at about 3 1/2 psi and the rear carb actually motivates the engine to rev up better than the front one does, so the front carburetor is the culprit. I blocked the rear one off and it really had no effect on the issue.

The metering rods were bent in the carburetor when I put the new ones in yesterday, but I also changed the seats et. So, maybe the old girl is just worn enough that it needs some serious attention. My other '41 Buick had a Stromberg carburetor on it, and that one never gave me any grief. So, this is kind of a new one on me. But, that was 25 years ago and this stuff is all that much older now. Plus, whoever bent those metering rods had no business in the carburetor so who knows what else they may have messed with in there. I can't have the car layed up right now, so I can't send the carburetor off for a rebuild. What do you suppose a Carter 533S carburetor would set a guy back these days?

I'll try to figure out how to put a picture or two of it up. It's pretty much original, neglected more than anything. Whoever had the car first really took care of it, the guy I got it from had it for about 20 years and drove it very little, but mostly just let it sit. The kid before him drilled holes in the dash for a modern radio and cut a hole in the rear window shelf for a speaker, but other than that didn't do much to it. But it does need to be totally restored now. The front coil springs are fatigued and after you've lived with it for awhile you can tell it's just time the old girl was gone through so it will make it another 70 years. I'll drive it regularly so it won't be a show car restoration, but it will be nice. The engine doesn't make any unusual noises and the oil pressure is good. It does leak oil and the rear main seal is the problem there, I'll pull the engine and decide about the rods and stuff then. I didn't have any problems with the babbit rods on the other car and I won't drive this one hard so if they are ok I'll leave them alone. It has around 50,000 miles on it. We have a really good machine shop here in town and I'll drop in and ask him about the rods. Berry gets antique car engines sent to him from all over the country to re-build. Anyway, this is quite a forum. And very helpful as well. I'll try to get the picture thing figured out tonight after work. Thanks again everyone for your input. I get better advice this way then when I just pull over and open the hood! I get a lot of response that way as well.... I'm sure most of you do as well !