Buick Driveshaft problems?

Guest janusjwilde

Guest janusjwilde

What a year I have been having with this car!!!

I had a rear transmission seal and tranny mount put on the car a few weeks ago. Since that time I have been hearing a whining noise, and a jangling noise that I had been hearing for a while (over a year but I paid it no mind) and it seems like the drive shaft is hitting the body, not always, but sometimes. I took the car back to the mechanic today and he took out the driveshaft and we looked at it. let me state, my car is a 1964 Buick Lesabre 4 door hard top.

So, we took the drive shaft down and and looked at it. My driveshaft has two pieces, a part that goes from the tranny to the Center support and then from the center support to the rear axle. On the rear part of the shaft we noticed the "jangling" noise was coming from a dust shield that is bouncing around. it seems like the dust shield has worn down the area where it was. Its not a big deal, but I think the jangling will stop if the dust shield is taken off. From what I have been told, the dust shield, which goes behind the center support, is not a big deal.

My mechanic is trying to get me to buy a new driveshaft and I dont trust him; all of the splines on the shaft look good, and the only issue I have is the noise it makes SINCE he put the new tranny mount in, which he said, is taller than the one that was in the car.

I think, if anything, I should change the CENTER SUPPORT BEARING and not the whole doggone drive shaft. What say you?

You may very well be right, but you have a bigger problem. Either trust your mechanic, and do what he suggests, or else find another mechanic to work on your car who you can trust. If you don't trust the guy you have doing the work, you will never be happy. You will also never get a decent deal from a guy who knows that you don't trust him and/or don't follow his advice on what the car needs.

Guest janusjwilde
You may very well be right, but you have a bigger problem. Either trust your mechanic, and do what he suggests, or else find another mechanic to work on your car who you can trust. If you don't trust the guy you have doing the work, you will never be happy. You will also never get a decent deal from a guy who knows that you don't trust him and/or don't follow his advice on what the car needs.

The mechanic that I take the car to is not too familiar with old cars. I will be looking for a new mechanic. At least that part of the problem is solved. Now, if I can only get advice on the driveshaft and not so much the mechanic. I am done with him.