Brake lights staying on occasionally ??

Labrat

This intermittent problem started after tinting the windshield 2 weeks ago and I suspected moisture in the light switch as the tinter used a lot of water while installing the film. Its been too long for that now in this Fl. heat so it must be something else. Also, the high mount brake light doesn't stay on with the reg. brake lights. It isn't related to the switch on the console that runs the fog lights and rear lights as they cycle off and on properly with the switch. Pressing the brake pedal doesn't solve the problem but disconnecting the battery does. Almost like a reset command to the computer? I'm open to suggestions for a fix. The car is a '91 Coupe with 32K miles. Thanks, Labrat.

The brake switch at the pedal is causing the problem. Either the switch is bad or out of adjustment or the brake pedal is not returning completely.

Also since you said the 3 brake light is not affected, its power comes from the same switch but a different set of contacts.......so if it is working, it is not the brake pedal.... congratulations, you have a switch going bad.

The only other possibility is a short somewhere.........and we don't want to go there

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

I just checked the amount of movement to activate the lights and it took at least a inch of movement. The pedal returned to the top each time I checked it. Engine was off. I wish I had pulled up on it awhile ago when the lights were on but I think it wouldn't have mattered. I'm leaning towards a failing switch versus the out of adjustment possibility. Is this a dealer available part at this time? I did score a new set of mud flaps last week from the local Buick Store for a backup for my car. Here in Fl. with everything sand I'll keep a set on the car. They actually look good on the car to me. Different strokes...

Guest wally888

I have a pedal that fails to return to the top=no TCC lockup=no (what I call ) overdrive and no cruise control (maybe brake lights are on, I did not think of checking!) Will check brake lights when pedal has failed to return to top and report.

Replacing the switch is easy, adjusting is a no brainer.

Guest wally888
I have a pedal that fails to return to the top=no TCC lockup=no (what I call ) overdrive and no cruise control (maybe brake lights are on, I did not think of checking!) Will check brake lights when pedal has failed to return to top and report.

Replacing the switch is easy, adjusting is a no brainer.

I checked to see if brake lights remain on because of my pedal not returning to top!

Answer is no however if I move pedal about 1/8 inch, they come on.

For those of you wondering why I have yet to fix the problem:

The mech. was on vacation and since has been too busy to take a look.