Questions

Guest niks65

Guest niks65

I have a 1965 chevy impala, the vin number in the door jam is gone is there another place on the car where i can find it? i replaced the motor so it isnt original...

Not good if the vin tag is gone.

There is a chance you may locate a paper 'build sheet' somewhere hidden in the car. I am not up on where to look in a chevy, but Fords/Chrysler cars had them in the seat springs, and under the dash, taped to something.

But it would not be good enough for most states laws, as they want to see a tag.

Not good if the vin tag is gone.

There is a chance you may locate a paper 'build sheet' somewhere hidden in the car. I am not up on where to look in a chevy, but Fords/Chrysler cars had them in the seat springs, and under the dash, taped to something.

But it would not be good enough for most states laws, as they want to see a tag.

Very true, not a good thing! At least on the 61 to 64's they stamped a partial vin on top of the frame rail, drivers side, usually about half way back but it's very hard to find with the body on and it would not be acceptable for states as proof.

The build sheet if found is useless for the state purposes because as far as they're concerned it could have come from any car.

Most states can issue a replacement vin tag but you'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops.

impala