What motor is this?

Barry Wolk

Guest Robin Coleman

I haven't a clue what mounts to the flange. These engines were, of course, often used in industrial applications. Since the flange is cast into the head, it would be easy enough to make it for a specific application. Most of my experience with these engines revolve around welders, pumps, tractors and the like. Since I do not see any motor mount fittings anywhere else, I would think it is for that purpose.

Guest Robin Coleman

I do not think it is likely the flange is for mounting anything like a compressor or generator, since these would be driven off the flywheel. This is in addition to the fact the pulley is only for one belt. It seems a bit heavy to be for a water pump, but then what do I know? Continentals I have seen all have a forward motor mount cast into the bottom front end. This one does not seem to have that.

I do not think it is likely the flange is for mounting anything like a compressor or generator, since these would be driven off the flywheel. This is in addition to the fact the pulley is only for one belt. It seems a bit heavy to be for a water pump, but then what do I know? Continentals I have seen all have a forward motor mount cast into the bottom front end. This one does not seem to have that.

bingo!

MAYBE it is some sort of engine mount .... ?

I'm thinking of maybe a fork lift. Or possibly a pusher engine for a sail boat. I've seen a lot of engines in a lot of industrial and agriculture applications, but never one that I can remember had a motor mount on the head. Some have had a raised fan because of a very large radiator. Interesting indeed. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)