Source for height-sensing prop valve?

joe_padavano

Sorry for the relatively late model question, but does anyone have a source for the height sensing proportioning valve used on the rear brakes of the 1980s full size Chevy trucks? I have a 1986 C30 dually and the idiot previous owner decided to remove the valve. confused.gif

This at least explains the rear wheel lockup problem.

I've been through all the usual sources (NAPA, RockAuto, even the Wagner brake catalog) and no one lists prop valves. The GM part number is 15538213, which obviously is no longer in the system. I checked PartsVoice - no luck. I'm beginning to think that used is my only option. Since the original is long gone, I don't even have one to rebuild.

I can't recall the company, but there is a huge place that gets all the inventory that has been phased out. I read a post somewhere about a guy finding a insignificant 70s 80s GM part there. This place was not really an antique parts house, but rather a discontinued parts service.

Maybe try advanced searches for obsolete or discontinued GM parts... ??

The reason the valve is missing, is that here in the northeast, those valves and linkages get rusted beyond imagination.

If it were my truck with a single driver using it, I'd use a remote adjustable valve with the knob sticking up through the floor near the sill panel. It would be nice to be able to dail it in, for the actual weights...just like trailer brakes. I don't know if Direct Connection still makes one, but it is a nice piece.

Stock one, but used? ... try Coutu Truck in Willimantic CT. I have no idea if there is some law about selling used brake stuff, but they only part out pickups and have a huge shelf inventory. I mention used, because you likely need more than just the valve body.

Guest simplyconnected

Joe, an adjustable proportioning valve makes sense for your application, so you can set you back pressure the way YOU want it. Once you set it properly, I seriously doubt you will re-adjust for years to come.

JEGS has one that is relatively inexpensive.

555-63020.jpg

You might want a 10-psi Residual Pressure valve for your back brakes, too. It applies enough pressure to keep the shoes out so your pedal is always up. I use them on my '55 and '59 Fords.

Hope this helps. - Dave

Joe, an adjustable proportioning valve makes sense for your application, so you can set you back pressure the way YOU want it. Once you set it properly, I seriously doubt you will re-adjust for years to come.

JEGS has one that is relatively inexpensive.

555-63020.jpg

You might want a 10-psi Residual Pressure valve for your back brakes, too. It applies enough pressure to keep the shoes out so your pedal is always up. I use them on my '55 and '59 Fords.

Hope this helps. - Dave

Unfortunately I specifically don't want a manual valve like this, because my wife will be the primary driver of this truck to haul her horse trailer. Let's just say she's not particularly diligent when it comes to adjusting stuff like this... :rolleyes:

Hi Joe:

I just searched Vintage Parts and they show having 91 of these valves in their inventory.

I recently bought a replacement engine block heater for my Olds 307 V8 from them. They were good folks to work with...

Hope this helps.

Paul

That's amazing! Thanks Paul. How did I not find this site before?

• 1 year later...