'63 Rear Wheel Stud Replacement

Guest ZombyWoof

Guest ZombyWoof

I had new rear tires put on Friday, and discovered that one of the reverse wheel studs and nut is stripped. Fortunately, I’m getting some brake work this week so everything will already be apart, and I can probably get my hands on a replacement stud and nut tomorrow night. Question: How simple (or <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> simple) is it to change a wheel stud on the rear of a ’63?

Guest ZombyWoof

Thanks, Pete.

Forgot where, but I thought that at one time I had come across information that said the axle had to be removed to replace a rear wheel stud.

In the '63 Chassis manuanl, removal of a rear wheel bolt is covered in Section 6-B, Paragraph 6-4-d.

Quote: 1. To remove and intall a rear wheel bolt, axle shaft assembly MUST be out of car. Remove rear wheel bolt by pressing from axle flange. Unquote.

If you can get the wheel stud out of the axle flange when it is in the car, you DO NOT have to remove the axle shaft to replace the new one!

Get the new stud into position and get a stack of washers that have a center hole slightly larger than the diameter of the stud and place the stack of washers over the stud so that about 1/4 inch of the threads are visible. Using the lug nut with the convex side AWAY from the axle flange, you use the lug nut to pull the stud into position. I have done this process at least a dozen times and it works great!

HTH,

Tim McCluskey