Identify This Car

Dave7

These photographs were taken in South Africa in about 1933. Can anybody identify the car? Why does everyone drape over the cars in these old photographs and in so doing, obscure the car's details?

post-33142-143138080662_thumb.jpg

post-33142-143138080664_thumb.jpg

I think the wheels are wrong for Dodge and it is too big to be a DD which is on the same 109"wb as the DeSoto and Plymouth. I think it might be a 1929 Studebaker series GH Commander - about the last model to use the small hub wire wheels.

Guest 1928Packard526

Hugh32 —

While I agree there are a lot of similarities to the 28 or 29 Hupps shown, I think there is an overriding difference that raises some question. Compare the size of the 3 windows shown in the full side view of the African car to those in the picture of Dean's Hupp. The driver's window of Dean's car has the longest horizontal dimension of the three side windows by a considerable amount, while the one's on the African car are more or less equal in horizontal dimension.

While both cars may still indeed be Hupps, the bodies are of a different "style". An export only model perhaps? Obviously the African car also has RHD. Maybe Hupp experts can explain the difference?

Pete P.

I agree it is more likely a Hupp than a Studebaker. I had doubts on two issues: the wires on this car have, I think, more spokes than those on the Stude (I have a Stude of this era on wires but haven't been out to the shed to count the spokes); also the moulding at the back of the body is slightly different on the Stude. It certainly is closer to that on the Hupp pics supplied by Hugh. I was initially confused by the roof fabric which, like on the Stude, comes right over to the drip rail. I note that on the lower pic of Hugh's that that is not the case. I presume that the Hugh's Hupps are a '28 and a '29? The mystery car has elements of both. Maybe like Stude, Hupp did mid year model changes.

Guest Hugh32

Pete P

This is a 1928 Hupmobile Model A. It may just be my old eyes but the front door window and the rear door window appear to be almost the same size. The hubcaps on the African car look like they are Hupmobile and the stalk holding the tail light is exactly like that on a 1929 Hupp. ? ?

Maybe one of the Hupp owners will take a look.

p.s. the two previous pics I posted were both 1929s.

Hugh

post-60729-143138080869_thumb.jpg

Guest Hugh32

If Dave will measure his 1929 windows we will know how close they are to being the same size. My guess is that the front door window is only slightly longer than the rear door window.

Guest aussie610

I agree Hupp, Hupp and Graham used the same wires in 28 and 29. Those are the same as on our Graham

Guest 1928Packard526

Hugh32 —

Just to make sure I was not being fooled by perspective on the apparent difference in driver window size, I overlaid the Dean car image over the first image of the African car and sized the two images to have identical wheelbases with a matching hubcap distance. This should be possible as the images were both taken on very close to the same quartering angle. The comparison should be valid. The front section of the two cars overlaid almost precisely considering the slight difference in apparent camera elevation.

Dean's car appears to be a few inches longer in body length by this method, a distance approximating the longer appearing driver's window. All this may still be a matter of photographic distortion. I can't be sure. I do believe the car in question is certainly a Huppmobile, as suggested, but not with a totally identical body.

Can the Hupp experts shed any light on this apparent difference, or the flaw in my comparison method?

Pete P.

The first car on the post is a 1928 hupp model A with optional wire wheels. The next black car with plate AWH-976 is a 1929 Hupp Model M. Note the difference in the top material on the 1929 M. The A is a 6 Cyl and the M is a 8 cyl.The A 6cyl is a 114 in. wheel base. The M 8cyl is 120 in. wheel base. Chuck