Where Does Kelley Blue Book & NADA Get These Ridiculous Values?

ScarletNGray

I went to check my latest pricing on a private party transaction at Kelley Blue Book and NADA if I should sell my 1990 Reatta 2 door. I calculated 120,000 miles and quoted it in good condition (supposedly only about 5% of cars are in excellent condition)in my current zip code. Kelley Blue Book quoted $2185; NADA quoted $2300. Where do they get these ridiculously low values, and is there any national source that can give me a fair value on this great car I've got? I checked lately on AutoTrader.com and there were like 20 Reattas for sale with them in the whole USA - maybe only 3-4 convertibles. Any ideas on this!

Guest CL_Reatta

if you look around, that is about what reattas are going for...well ones that have a few more miles...nada usually tells me a 90 is worth around 4k which is crazy...ive seen many around me sell for not much more than your numbers

Don't trust KBB or NADA. Twenty months ago they both quoted a private party selling price of $6,500 - $7,200 for a 2000 Regal GS in excellent condition with 60,000 miles. After three months, my best private party offer came in at $4,750 with the caveat I accept a $500 deposit and hold the car for 45 days. Frustrated and disgusted, I ended up selling to Carmax for $4,500. Use KBB and NADA as a loose guide. I rely more on Craigslist & eBay. It all comes down to supply and demand.

On a side note, last month I pulled a Carfax report on the car. It seems the car ended up at an auction (I assume) in Boise, ID (from Los Angeles) three months after the sale. The car stayed registered to Carmax having then moved to Alabama, Texas, Colorado and finally in Oregon, when it was sold in February with 60,900 miles on the odometer.

Guest C.F.Massie

Your absolutely right Chuck, Old Cars Price Guide is what I use to get a check on reality. NADA, Kelly Bluebook, Barrett-Jackson and the rest can go take a hike in my book, they try to cater too much to the wealthy or un-educated on vehicle knowledge (in Barrett-Jackson case it's more snob appeal, 'like the cars hate the system'). But like everything else in sales it's what the seller and buyer agree upon that makes it a good buy.