48 plymouth motor

Guest novascotia100

Guest novascotia100

just sterting to redo my plymouth ,need to know size of the flat 6 ,,217.8 or larger,how tell,found numbers ,P103777,on my 48 model 15s 2 door deluxe,the other engine is p15c15987c,can the size be known this way,also like to get a new wire harness,any places come to mind for any parts,windshield rubber seal and such,, would be helpful,like to get started on motor soon,,thanks for any help

You need to discover http://p15-d24.com/ and especially the discussion forum there.

Plymouth (actually all Chrysler Corp. vehicle engines) have an engine number that starts with the engineering code for the vehicle. After about 1931 the engineering codes had fairly standardized prefix letters (P=Plymouth, D=Dodge, S=DeSoto, C=Chrysler, T=Dodge Truck, PT=Plymouth Truck, I=Industrial). So your P103777 engine is either a P1 (1936) or P10 (1940) engine depending on where the space or dash is. Both of those are 201 cu.in. The engine starting with P15 is from a 1946-48 Plymouth and as originally 217.8 cu.in.

Some period literature refer to that as a 217 cu.in. rather than 218 because Chrysler made a 218 cu. in. based on its "long block" (approx 25" long). And they did not want to confuse the "small block" (approx 23" long) Plymouth/Dodge block based engine with it.

I have had good experiences with YnZ's and with Harnesses Unlimited for wiring harnesses.

Steele Rubber has a good reputation for rubber parts and should have the windshield seal. I have a vendor address page in the parts section of my web site. My focus is for pre-war Plymouths so your 1948 is not directly covered but lots of things are similar. http://www.ply33.com/Parts/vendor