1929 DA 6 Coupe

RobV

Hi, new member with a few questions. This car has been in the family for over 30 years, and I just got it running again after over 20 years on blocks. The previous owner did a 'restoration' and I am trying to get it back as close to original as possible. First off, this was listed as a 'club coupe', but I have never been able to turn up any information on this model. It has a small door on the passenger side that opens to the footwell of the rumble, which is supposedly for your golf clubs. Also, it has a tray between the rear of the seat and the back window that opens into a metal 'tub' about a foot deep with a drain hose going out the bottom of the floor between the frame rails. I was told this was for keeping 'beverages' during prohibition. I'm curious how much of this history is B.S. and what may be truthful. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

29daSmall.jpg

What it looks like you have is the DA DeLuxe coupe. It has a trough for the water that runs into the rumble seat window bottom for drainage. Most rumble seat coupe cars with an openable rear window have that feature. Chances are that it was not a bootlegger's car, but you never know. You really have a gorgeous car there!!

post-37352-143138072455_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

It was as mentioned listed as a deluxe coupe, no referance to club coupe series for this model, the compartment was for golf bags. Welcome to this forum and I hope you follow thru with trying to get it back to original condition, lots of people here that are willing to help in any way we can.

RobV, great looking car!! Boy are you going to get hit with questions? As Keiser said, it looks like a deluxe coupe. Can you post a closeup of the rubber grommet where the spare tire mount goes through the side of the cowl? Are they 48 or 60 spoke wire wheels? Stewart or Kingston vacuum tank? If yo've been reading here for a while you know there are several of us with DAs, and we are trying to make rhyme or reason out of them. I don't think they made two the same. Golf door on the sie is correct.

Dang it, I had a huge reply for everyone and it disappeared instead of posting!

Keiser31, Thanks for the pic, first I've ever seen of the body style other than my own. DB must have made the biggest catch basins ever, this thing has to be 3-4 gallons. I'll try to get a decent pic.

1930, thanks for confirming the glf bag door, glad to know I got something right! lol. I have got a ways to go to get back to original, but it seems I've got the parts. Found the original lighting switch (clum) and the spare tire mount locks in a crate yesterday. But it runs and I can drive it, so I'm happy.

nearchocolatetown, I don't think the spare mounts to the cowl, but is all attatched to the fender. Will get pics of it all for you. I have to count the spokes, and I have no clue where the vacuum tank is. Let me know where to look, lol.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try to get pics and post by tonight.

The vacuum tank should be mounted on the firewall if there is a tank. It's about 4"-5" diameter and about 10"-12" long and has fuel lines going to and coming from it to the carburetor. Yes, the golf bag door on the side is original.

Yup, one of the things I had to replace to get it running was the fuel pump. I knew that wasn't an original part, but couldn't figure out how to get the fuel to draw properly without it. Now I'm beginning to get the idea of how it was done. wink.gif

The fuel pump is located under the interior floorboard on the passenger side. There is also a pressure regulator inline between the pump and the carb. I'm going to have to look through the owners manual and see if they have a diagram for the original fuel system.

Lol, I'll look under mine but the only original part of the fuel lines would be from the tank to the fuel pump. Everything forward of that was replaced by the owner before me.

I finally found the clum light switch buried in another pile of rust. The lights all run off of toggles mounted on a piece of aluminum under the dash. From what I understand I am missing a lever on the steering wheel that controlled that switch. I have two levers with a hole in the middle of the inner lever. I'm trying to find good pics of a '29 steering wheel and the brackets that hold the switch at the bottom. The cowl lamp reflectors turned black from oxidation, so I think they were originally silvered. I'm going to drag out my plating machine and re silver plate them this week

I'm going to try to get to the shop and get pics of the side mounts at the cowl too.

Guest 1930

Also I might mention that DA used two different steering wheels although the parts book only indicates one. I have been meaning to post this and see what info I collect and since you mention it Rob I will pick it up here, the first pict. is the style wheel that is in my car, the second is the what I am calling earlier version, if you look at center portion and look at the rings you will see the differences. I hope that anyone that has a DA will tell me what version they have so I can add it to my spreadsheet.

Also Rob the levers that you need are avil repro from wwwvintageandclassicreproductions.com I ordered my throttle lever from them and while it is the only thing I have ever been dissapoited with that they have sent me it is still about as close as your going to find. Everything else that I have purchased from them has been first rate.

post-48869-143138073869_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138073997_thumb.jpg

1930, thanks for the pics! I have both of those levers on mine, but where yours appears to have a cap or button in the center, mine is hollow. There is a piece of wire running down the center of the column that terminates in that 'cap' area. What is it, and what is it for? Which lever operates the light switch at the bottom of the column?

I like the repro levers at meyers dodge, they look spot on in the pics on their page.

Guest 1930

I did not know myers sold the levers, do they get them from Glenn I wonder and then resell???

The inside lever or the one closest to the horn button operates the light switch at bottom of column, neither of those pict. I showed are actually from my car they are just some that I had saved on disk, I have included here a couple of pict. of light switch at bottom of column, again they are not from my own car and they are a little fuzzy but I can get you better ones from my own car if you would like.

Ok real crappy, let me know like I said if you need better pict.

post-48869-143138073999_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138074007_thumb.jpg

post-48869-14313807428_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138074308_thumb.jpg

Jason, if you're keeping track of the steering wheels design, my 29 DA has your top photo design. Thanks for the clum switch photos at the bottom of the steering column too. On your interior cowl panels is that just what they used to call leatherette? Mine are missing and I thought I'd just get the heavy cardboard and use the vinyl that I'm using for the roof insert topping....don't know if that's appropriate.

I don't know about others kick panels, but mine has the same cloth as was used on the panels that fill around the rear window. I'd be willing to bet that it isn't the correct material though.

Guest 1930

Thanks Bob for the info, If you mean the panel that went on inside of firwall than it originally is a paper mache type material board, the pict. I submitted on wheel are not from my own car so not sure exactely what you saw. I can provide a picture from my car of that panel on the inside of firewall if you need it, I think I even have a spare sitting around so I can get both sides, let me know if you want it.

If you guys are talking about the kick panels than originall the only material I have even seen was a vinyl ( In appearance ) grained material, also only seen black, I can provide pict. of originals of that if you guys need it, let me know.

I have never seen and did not know about those water troughs behind the rear window, thanks for the pict. Your car should also have a toolbox...????

Toolbox? Not that I've seen. I store everything in the bins under the seat. I think I even have the crank handle under there somewhere. Unless those under seat bins were considered the toolbox?

That trough is big. It's about 2 feet long, a foot deep, and maybe 6" wide. It has a half inch drain line going out the bottom of it. It made sense to me when people told me they would put ice and drinks in there. grin.gif

Jason, yeah that wierd stuff on my firewall seems in good shape so I'm not going to touch it....not sure what it is or even where you could get replacement.

The side panels are what I'm talking about. There are wood nailers around the cowl vents, so it seems it would be the same cardboard as the door panels with some kind of black vinyl per your pics. I don't know if I need a photo (but others may) as much as I need a confirmation of what those panels are made of...like I said I think I may use the same material as my roof insert, but maybe the grain of the roof vinyl is too coarse for the interior at the cowl. hope all that makes sense.

Guest 1930

Yes that box under your seat is the toolbox, it is one long box correct?? Do your front seats fold up under the dash to access this toolbox?

The front seat flips forward, but there aren't any hinges or anything. In fact, when I work on the interior or pull the floorboard out, I just remove the seat from the car completely. The toolbox is divided I think.... confused.gif

I'll check and take a pic, lol.

Rob, thanks for the detail pics. My car had petrified rubber seals where the spare mount met the cowl. I made a duplicate to be used to make a mold and Jack is reproducing them, should be for sale in the new DB newsletter. That's another reason to join the DBC. Does anyone have an original toolbag for a DA? I have a four cylinder bag and am wondering if DAs used the same bag. Does anyone know for sure?

Guest 1930

The toolbox is divided, I also have original seals for the cowl to spare tire bracket, I dont have an original toolbag and have no idea what it looked like, it seems noone is certain or can provide accurate details backed with proof of what exactely was in there either. The list leaves alot of questions unanswered.

• 3 weeks later...

1930, in the pics you posted of the light switch at the bottom of the column, one of the pics shows the hand throttle lever arm. it looks like there is a rod attatched to the arm and not a cable as I would have expected. Is the stock hand throttle connected by rod? Mine is missing and I am curious.

Guest 1930

It is definitely a rod, not cable that controls throttle, I have attached hopefully some better pict. I can remove my oil filter if anyone wants a better picture of the swivel behind the filter and peg coming out of head. There is a specific way that all this goes together as well that I can show if anyone needs it. I am pretty sure I have spares of all this stuff if you need it to make yourself some pieces, these would be fairy easy to make. Just to explain my side on my spare stuff I sometimes do sell stuff but more often than not I am almost accused of trying to take advantage of someone because I want to much for it so I dont bother anymore to much, I will either give it away now or just not offer it for sale. You and anyone else on this forum is more than welcome to borrow something though to try and reproduce, I have had a couple of guys alreay do that for me and it was much appreciated.

post-48869-143138079678_thumb.jpg

post-48869-14313807968_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138079683_thumb.jpg

1930, once again a big 'Thank you!'. So the rods end up connecting to the pedal or somewhere nearby the pedal then. I would have gotten it completely wrong and guessed that it went to the carb. lol.

Guest 1930

Here are a couple more pict. there is the accelerator inside the floorboard, that is attached to the long rod that I have shown here that goes over to the swivel point that rotates on the peg that is actually one of the water jacket retainers, anyway at the pedal end there is going to be a little bent piece of metal that attaches to your floorboard underneath, there is a spring attached to that, on the other end is another small bent piece of metal that rides in one of the notches on the arm, it allows you to adjust spring return pressure. Jumping over to other end of long rod at swivel side there are two swivel pieces. One of these is what your throttle lever is attached to and the other is where your long rod attaches, it is the astion of long accelerator rod pushing against second swivel piece that allows you to adjust your throttle. Hope it is clear, very simple if you just see it.

post-48869-143138079934_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138079936_thumb.jpg

Everything is starting to make a lot more sense. With all of the pieces missing including the long rod, the return spring was never put in the right place. Funny how it makes sense when you see how its done correctly. crazy.gif

Guest 1930

I looked through some of my stuff and I have at least three of the long rods if you want one, I only need one spare for myself, I have a couple of the rods that go from lever in back of head to carb but I dont have any spare throttle levers that come up from steering column but as I said you can borrow mine if you need it, I know I have quite a few of the guide pins that come out of water jacket and I am sure at least a couple of sets of the swivels. I have also a set of the hook/levers that attach to floorboard and the other side of spring you can borrow to remake, those are real simple. Just let me know

post-48869-143138079943_thumb.jpg

Jason, thanks. I'll look through the left over pieces in the crate and see if I have any of them. I didn't know what to look for until now. I'll get back to you if I need a piece to copy.

Rob

Guest 1930

Ok, I forgot to mention on your carb side you will have the little pivot arm that the rod attaches to that goes over to your carb. I have found that early DA had a shorter one than late DAs, might want to measure this and tell me what you have, the longer version will give you a little quicker response at the throttle, in other words when you hit the gas it will react faster, you might not notice any difference by having the longer arm but Dodge changed to this version for that reason as far as I can tell. Just another interesting fact to keep in mind, for me personally knoing all this stuff helps me to feel closer to what these guys must have been thinking while building and driving our cars.

post-48869-143138079946_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138079948_thumb.jpg