Purchasing-Inspecting from long distance

fun442

Hi guys, I'm new here and I hope you can help me with some input. I'm interested in a Olds that's a few thousand miles away. I can't take the sellers words 100% (of course) and I was thinking of using an inspection service.

1) Is this a reliable way to go for an older car?

2) Should I try and find someone how knows old Oldsmobile's instead?

3) I'm also concerned with how to manage the transaction. Do I pay for the car and fly back home and trust the car will arrive back home ok? Can you advise me on exchanging money and leaving the car behind?

Thanks in advance.......

Well, I can be of help on both counts, as I recently looked at purchasing a ride that was located in WA; I am in WI. The few pics of the car I had looked great.

I hired Automobile Inspections, LLC to do the inspection. The inspector spent 3+ hrs going over the car. I received a) a written report, B) a written opinion of value and c) 149 pictures. The inspection was so thorough that it made up my mind, without any second thoughts aftewards. <span style="font-style: italic">I did not buy the car!</span> The cost for the inspection, report and opinion was $404. It was money well spent! You can check them out at http://automobileinspections.com/

I did end up buying a car situated in NY state. I had it brought to WI in an enclosed transport.

I asked the seller where, in the trailer the car was loaded. His answer was on the top, all the way in front, closest to the cab. On arrival the car was in that same spot.

I requested that, even though the trailer was enclosed, the car be covered. On arrival it was covered. The transporter was Stooneys Transport, out of NJ. You can see their equipment by going to my <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #666666">The Gray Lady</span></span></span> web site. A link to the site is set out below, in my signature. The transport cost was $850.

Stooney's may be contacted direct at (908) 889-0294, (908) 966-1127 or email Noel@StooneysAuto.com

I would not hesitate to use either concern again, and recommend both, <span style="font-style: italic">highly</span>.

Hope this is info you find useful.

Thank you very much and yes, that was very useful information. My biggest stumbling block is the transaction itself. If the car turns out ok, how do I pay the seller and leave the car behind (as I fly home)to be picked up at a later date?

As for paying & leaving, yes, it can be scary. One has to assume they are dealing with an honest individual. In other words, there has to be some mutual trust.

If you decide to purchase the car after personally inspecting it, you give him money down. In exchange he gives you the executed title. The balance is paid (I did it by bank wire) on pickup.

Alternatively, you could use an escrow agent. They get both the money and the title and handle all those pesky details at the appropriate times. Of course, that just further increases your costs. I believe Automobile Inspections, LLC, mentioned in my earlier msg has such a service. I did not see a need to use it, but presume it is as thorough as the rest of their operation.

The seller insist that I pay in full by personal check. No bank checks, (to long to clear according to him) we are to go to a bank branch that my check is drawn on so he can get his funds deposited and he'll meet the car carrier service. When I explained my hesitation of flying home "car-less" and with him paid in full, he said I could also put the car in storage facility and let the carrier pick it up from there.

Your input has been very helpful, yesterday at a large car show I asked a few guys at a Hemmings booth these questions and they tried to help too. They warned me to be very careful.

I agree with Dave.

I have done inspections for this company and they require a very thorough inspection from sheets that they provide. However, I have also worked for a classic car organization as a mechanic and have seen some real characters trying to evaluate a car. When I did an inspection I would spend whatever time needed to scrutinize the vehicle as if I was buying it. I would take as many detailed photos as possible and write about each photo.

Something else you may try. Find a person that lives in that area and is a member of a car club or group like the A.A.C.A. You may be surprised at the help that you will receive. I was looking to buy a 59 Chevy in California and posted on the chevytalk site. A guy there was nice enough to go and check the car out without wanting anything to do so. He sent me his feelings about the car and a CD with multiple pictures.

Good luck in your quest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The seller insist that I pay in full by personal check. No bank checks, (to long to clear according to him) we are to go to a bank branch that my check is drawn on so he can get his funds deposited and he'll meet the car carrier service. When I explained my hesitation of flying home "car-less" and with him paid in full, he said I could also put the car in storage facility and let the carrier pick it up from there.

Your input has been very helpful, yesterday at a large car show I asked a few guys at a Hemmings booth these questions and they tried to help too. They warned me to be very careful. </div></div>

Is there some sort of escrow service you can use? The cash is held in escrow by a third party until the car is delivered, then the cash is released to the buyer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The seller insist that I pay in full by personal check. No bank checks, (to long to clear according to him) we are to go to a bank branch that my check is drawn on so he can get his funds deposited and he'll meet the car carrier service.</div></div>

I have to tell you, his demand for a personal check to be negotiated at your bank, sounds more than a bit strange. It would make me leery.

I say this, as a Cashier's/Certified Check guarantees the funds, and should be readily negotiable, anywhere/anytime.

If he is unwilling to budge, well then, it may be time to exercise the "discretion is the better part of valor" philosophy and walk away?

Gentleman, this is what happens when you fall in love with a car you can identify with, a 1969 442, very plain but shows well in pictures. A solid "3" car but never overly handled by a rambunctious owner (however many there might have been).

If I just say the word "escrow", the deal is dead, he wouldn't stand for it, I'm sure. I'm hesitant to mention "car inspector" but I'll need a neutral qualified person to look it over. That isn't unreasonable for any classic purchase, especially long distance.

I'm confused also as to the personal check thing. I've sent deposits with a check but the rest has always been cash or wire as I'm OK with waiting for the check to clear but I would not leave a car behind unless I knew the guy. I've also sent money with a transport so that the car shows up at the hub to be loaded and then is paid for. I know some guys can be really difficult to work with and I don't know if its intentional to try and get you not to buy it, or they are really that off the wall but be ready to have problems with this one. Unless the car is dirt cheap where you know you could sell it for what you got in it, I have learned to NEVER go off a photo. EVER EVER EVER. Did I say NEVER? I meant NEVER! Most likely you will end up with the short end. The question then is how short! Just my $.02

I have a collection of e-mailed photo's that are mostly "20 footers" and low resolution. The car looks very good (naturally) and unaltered as described, I'd call it a very good "3" car which is what I want (something to show and drive). I don't understand the personal check issue either and it's unfortunate that the car itself might not kill the deal but the circumstances of exchanging money will. I won't leave any money behind without 3700lbs of Oldsmobile with me. I spoke to a car carrier yesterday and they said the exchange of funds and car is a common stumbling block. They will pick up a car at a storage facility as long as there isn't to much inconvenience.

Guest Jim_Edwards

A serious piece of advice! Make certain all the necessary legalities with respect to title are taken care of while you are where the car is located. Procedures for transferring title are different in darn near every state. Some states like Pennsylvania even requires both parties be present though the car is leaving that state. North Carolina also has some pretty strange transfer procedures for a car leaving the state under new ownership. Florida on the other hand is a piece of cake. Your state may require certain documents be signed by the seller before you can get a valid title and registration. Make sure you have those with you when you go if such requirements exist. Most states hang a sales tax onto the sale of a pre-owned vehicle and it may be less costly to pay the sales tax in one state verses the other. All states will respect the fact you just paid sales tax on the transaction in the exiting state and you won't get double dipped, but you will need a receipt if you pay the tax in the exiting state.

Be careful!

The seller has e-mailed me and informed me he decided not to sell the car. I'm disappoint and had pictured myself driving the car this summer. Strange change of heart but my search will continue.

Thanks again for all your help.

• 3 weeks later...

<span style="font-size: 11pt">Some details and update -- the seller wrote this to me in an e-mail.

<span style="font-style: italic">Have decided against buying the car and selling it to you. If we do purchase it back we will keep it. </span>

I responded to the seller --

<span style="font-style: italic">"If the situation ever changes, please keep me in mind, thanks"</span>

He in turn sent me this back but first let me explain something. I tried to buy this car 2 years ago and failed. I contacted him a few months ago and asked him if he could possibly forward my e-mail to the current owner with an interest to buy. I also said I'd give him a finders fee if a deal was put together.

He calls me and says he'll buy back the car from the person he sold it to and resell it to me. I think this is complicated but so be it. You guys know the rest, personal checks only etc...

Check out this e-mail he sends me! The word audacity comes to mind. He wants me to buy off pictures and he thinks someone would fly across the country to "just look at a car". Really? Here's a picture, I love it but he's impossible.

<span style="font-style: italic">

"the bottom line is that you would have to be serious about buying the car. I am not going to put my neck on the line so you can fly out here and look at a car. Just buy something in your area. You basicaly begged me to locate the car, I did, and then you seemed to me like you were undecided about going through with it. I felt foolish that I even spent time chasing it down. You have seen pictures of it, you hesitated back then and somebody else bought it, you seemed to me that you were hesitate again after I ran the car down. I am not going to keep doing this with you. Its making me look stupid. If you are ready to do business than we can get something done but if you are not 200 percet sure than I am not getting involved."

</span></span>

00583.jpg

Gary,

I would not be walking away from this guy/deal, I would be <span style="font-style: italic">running!</span>

The earlier actions of this guy failed the "smell test," IMHO. Now I am certain.

He wants to make himself a middle-man to this transaction and skim money off the top. Not reputable!

Thanks Dave, I got another somewhat scathing e-mail today from him after I responded with the following:

<span style="font-style: italic">Hesitant? I don't think so. You e-mailed me and said you were getting paperwork and shipping details. The very next e-mail 10 days later said the deal was off, so I don't know what you are talking about.

Jeff, it isn't good car buying sense to buy from pictures, know one should do it and I'm sure you wouldn't either.

If I can buy the car great, if not, that's ok too.

The deal would go like this:

1) An inspection service would come out and review.

2) I'd fly out and see the car and start the transaction.

3) I'd give you half the funds and the other half by wire transfer (or maybe the carrier will have the money, that would be easier yet) when the car carrier service picks -up the car.

I can't pay you in full and leave for home without the car.

~OR~

You can put me in contact with the current owners and I'll give you a finders fee as originally offered. </span>

He replied:

<span style="font-style: italic">

No. My reputation would be at risk. The gentleman who purchased it from me likes it, he liked the transaction between us, and he likes me. He said he would possibly sell it back to me. I like him and I like the car. I am not passing his information on to somebody just so I can make a thousand dollars. If something went poorly and I had brought you to the table then It would look poorly on me, and I would fill terrible. I thought perhaps I could be helpful, but not going to get involved. I already look a bit foolish in this whole thing. The thing is, I am not trying to sell you a car. Its not going to happen. Please do not contact us anymore. </span>

I offered him $1000 as a finders fee for contacting the new owners. I preferred that method over him buying the car on my behalf and then selling it to me. I don't understand his thinking or his arrogance.

If I were going to seriously continue consider purchasing this car, I would track down the current owner myself. If you had a plate, VIN, anything with which to start.

There is no way to explain the unexplainable. The guy has a screw or two loose!