chrysler year model

Guest LARS A

Without a serial number given, I would guess by the headlamp bucket style that you have a 1928 Chrysler "52" series 5 passenger landaulet sedan. Here is a photo and some I.D.data for 1928. John

post-37352-143138066613_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138066614_thumb.jpg

Not B-70.....bullet headlamps, tiny visor, no kick plates at the running board. A LOT of the Chrysler cars looked ALMOST the same, but I think I have narrowed it down to the '28 "52".

Can you post the serial number that is on the dashboard? I know that it can be very hard to read from the FEDCO plate, but if you look at it and shine a light from different angles, you should be able to read it. The plate looks like an oval or this rectangle.

post-37352-143138066634_thumb.jpg

Keiser, You're right on the mark, as usual.

The lack of front brakes makes it a 4-cylinder, the bullet-shaped headlights make it a 1928. That would be a model 52.

I had one exactly like it I bought from the original owner in 1959, He ordered the "52" instead of the 6-cylinder Chrysler because he didn't trust front brakes. A lot of people back then were afraid the front brakes would lock up and cause them to lose control of the car.

Don Lynskey

The old photo submitted by Keiser appears to show front brake drums. I've been told 4-wheel brakes were available as an option on the "52", but have never seen one with front brakes (of course, I've only seen a few).

Bear Lars, is this a 4-cylinder car as we're speculating? If so it's an interesting amalgam -- a Chrysler body with Maxwell running gear. Chrysler bought Maxwell in 1925 and brought out the cheaper Chrysler line by combining components of the two brands. The 4-cylinder model used the Chrysler body and the Maxwell power train. It looked like any other Chrysler, but had few, if any, mechanical parts in common.

While Chrysler was a leader in "modern" cars with among the first standard 4-wheel hydraulic brakes and high compression engines, the 4-cylinder models were outmoded even by the standards of the late twenties. They were among the last, if not the last, to retain a thermo-syphon cooling system which uses natural heat convection instead of a water pump to circulate the coolant (worked fine on the one I had). As mentioned before, the Model 52 had mechanical brakes only on the rear wheels (even Ford had adopted 4-wheel brakes by then) and fiber universal joints. I believe the body was by Fisher, an independent body builder at the time, later absorbed by GM. The generator was mounted in front of the engine, between the engine and the fan to help fill up the larger Chrysler engine compartment.

I enjoyed seeing your photos.

Don Lynskey

Chrysler retooled the four cylinder engine for the 1928 Model 52. So, no, this isn't a Maxwell extension model. Four wheel hydraulic brakes were an option from March, 1928 on. This car basically turned into Plymouth in 1929. The car that I showed earlier shows the optional brake setup.

BearLars.....Well.....I guess I was incorrect. It now appears from more research that the model 52 (four cylinder) was not fabric covered in the rear quarters. The model 62 (6 cylinder) was. I guess I should have asked you how many cylinders you have under that hood. So sorry about the mis i.d. John

post-37352-143138066926_thumb.jpg

Keiser31....Both series were available with or without the "landau" top. The landaulet was more expensive than the standard 4-door sedan. I know the 52 was available with the padded, rubber/fabric covered back and fake landau irons because I once owned one. As you said, the number of cylinders would tell us for sure which model it is, but from the photo it appears to me that Bear Lars' car lacks front brake drums which would say decisively it's a model 52.

Keiser31...where did the photos in your post come from?

Bear Lars...I second HarryJ's comment comment on the originality of your car. It's a nice one.

Don Lynskey

I was going by my book when I saw the part about the non-padded top for the 52. I could definitely be wrong. Some books are. On the other hand, your car could have had that added as a dealer item later. I have many Chrysler product books, but for this particular post, I got them from the "70 years of Chrysler" by George H. Dammann. ISBN Number O-912612-06-1. Purple cover with gold inay lettering...GREAT BOOK!!

Guest BearLars

Hello Gentlemen,

You appear to be correct it seems to be a 1928 model 52 Chrysler.It is a 4 cylinder without front brakes. I have attached a copy of the plaque on the center of the dash, it reads HW992C. It does have a full material top that covers wood.

You asked about being original. Yes it is all original. It was stored in an old shed of a relative. My father purchased it from them way back when, but never did anything with it. When he died a few years ago I received it from his estate. I have been to busy until now to do anything with it. Like I said it was in an old shed, the lady that owned it threw an old blanket over the hood and radiator cowl. The roof leaked and the blanket trapped moisture and rusted the hood and cowl badly. I have had the hood repaired and now plan to work on the rest of the car. From the pictures I sent before everything is completely original just as it was when stored maybe 40 to 50 years ago.

Thank You very much for all your help, I really appreciate your time and effort.

Bearlars

post-61349-143138069793_thumb.jpg

post-61349-143138069811_thumb.jpg

post-61349-143138069829_thumb.jpg

post-61349-143138069847_thumb.jpg