1963 lighter fuse - Recommendations

Guest DLT

I removed the interior parts to install carpet.

During a trial reassembly, I checked both lighters and neither one works.

They did not work before removal of interior...

Element's fine, there is power going to the fuse

but it appears the fuse is blown.

Is there a source for fuses or should I make something?

Thanks in advance.

Dalton,

Are you referring to the glass fuse in the fuse block or the small round encased fuse that plugs onto the back of the lighter housing? I'm not sure if 63s even had those or not but the later years did.

I'll guess its the encased fuse attached to the lighter since the glass fuses are widely available. See Pic. Not sure of a source for those other than used. They show up on ebay once in awhile. A common solution is to remove the encased fuse and install an inline fuse holder/fuse that are available at any good auto parts. This is simply a fuse holder with wires attached to it. Use butt type crimp connectors to install VS those snap together splice connectors

post-50687-14313805798_thumb.jpg

Do what I did and replace them with blade type fuses. You can buy fuse holder at any auto parts store pre-wired. Unscrew the old fuse, put a round wire terminal on one end of the fuse holder and secure it on the back of the lighter. Install the other side of the wire into the original. Make sure you buy a fuse rated at the same amps as the the original fuse and you are good to go.

I posted a link of what one of these fuse holders looks like.

http://www.premierrvparts.com/12ga25ampblf.html