How to change the rear main bearing seal ?

ThomasBorchers

Hello,

The 235 engine of my 1952 Chevy 3100 leaks oil at the rear main bearing seal. One shop said, that it is necessary to remove the crankshaft and change the front and rear seal. There is no other way to do this if I want a good deal. The other shop said, it is just necessary to remove the rear mean bearing cap, change the lower seal and for the upper seal they have a special tool to change this seal. The first shop will need 16 hours, will remove the engine from the car, remove crankshaft and so on and take for this job $ 1800.-. The second shop says, they will need just 3 hours, will take around $ 200,- for the job.

What shall I do ? Is it necessary to remove the crankshaft to change the seal ? Or is it ok to change the seal with a sneaky pete tool ?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Go with the "sneaky Pete tool" as you call it.</div></div>

Don't spend any money on a tool to pull the seal up and around the seal groove in the block. Loosen all the main caps a few turns and use a no cost 16" long piece of 14 Gauge copper wire threaded through a hole near the end of the new seal and twisted. Lube the new seal with oil and pull it up and around as you manually turn the crank to help it around. Cut the seal long and pack it up in the grove as best you can. Be advised new seals cannot be cut flush with a razor after it's packed. It's a job well within the scope of an "amature" mechanic. Removing the crank is the proper way to do the job but this way works a lot of the times but it's a bit iffy...........Bob