Programmable performance / economy chips

Guest xerxes

Guest xerxes

I often see aftermarket replacement chip sets that are offered for 350 GM and 5.0 Ford engines that offer both better performance and better mileage. I've had several vehicles with the 3.8 V6 and wonder if there is a chip set offered for that engine. I'm sure the Turbo Regals had something programmed differently from the Reatta. Does anyone know of any dealer or aftermarket products that offer performance or economy upgrades? Also, can anyone tell me how these chips make the changes that allow programmable performance / economy?

Thanks for any info!

Anyone know what the flame front propagation rate is for 10% ethanol Suspect it is slower than 87 PON (around 170 ft/sec AFAIR).

The point is that if the 10% mix burns slower then the stock advance curve will need "more".

For 87 PON, the factory curves are really pretty good especially for an older engine, really after 100,000 miles the best thing to do is a "major tune up" - timing chain, plugs, wires, O2 sensor, etc.

I usually limit prom "adjustments" to fan turn on/off and TCC engagement .

I have notice a big decline in the last tank (usu. get 19-20 in town) so have to go through the 88 and have been wondering about the "up to 10%" business.

First step is knowing how fast it burns hence need the FFPR but generally I am seeing that ethanol blends burn slower than 87 PON and needs more advance that the ECM is not programmed to give.