1926 Peerless 6-72 on Ebay

Guest Scot63

Guest Scot63

Can anyone tell me the value of a 1926 Peerless 6-72 in fair condition? It's currently listed on Ebay but I have only a vague idea of it's value. Any help is appreciated.

Scot63,

I've seen the Ebay ad, though not the car itself. It would be nearly impossible to give you a $-value est. of this Peerless, although there is one pub. that lists them. See "value of 1927 boat tail coupe" thread. I think it's an incredible car & would buy it now if I had the money. Please look at the "Peerless 1927 6-72" thread by Mr. Mordant: there's a color photo of what this will look like restored. Probably only 3 like this in the world.

----Jeff

To add to what I said, welcome to the AACA Forum and the Peerless Forum! I looked up www.manheimgold.com for you and saw no guesses for a '26 Peerless 6-72. They did have some for similar cars: [ $4,300 for "Fair" 1925 6-70 Roadster; $33,500 for "Show" 1925 6-70 Touring ]. Their numbers for "Peerless 1927 6-72 Boat Tail Coupe" range from $5,000-11,000.

It <span style="text-decoration: underline">is</span> a car that needs some work, but the owner seems to be up front about some things it needs. It was on ebay about a year ago. Perhaps you should email Philippe Mordant about his '27 6-72 5-Pass. Sedan. He says this one is identical to his, except for headlights and year. Without looking at my records, I think there are three 6-70 & 6-72 Peerless Sedans & 3 Touring Phaetons in the world; plus maybe one Roadster Coupe and one Roadster, both boattailed.

Sorry this is taking so long to write, but I'm having some computer problems...I'll try to make an estimate of it's worth. Another source you could use is The Standard Catalog of American Cars, VOL I ( Krause Publ., 1996 ) *. Both of these places list about the same figures for similar cars, despite the former's values being updated in 2008. What's interesting about Peerless is that the number manufactured falls inbetween that of Pierce-Arrow and Packard, but the number surviving is much less **. Peerless is a much rarer car than either, nowadays. So few people are familiar with Peerless, even in car collector circles, that value-guides are of limited use -- in my opinion. The figures are kind of in line with what Model A Fords bring ***.

My thinking is that similar-condition/similar-bodied Model A's and 20's Peerlesses should be worth different money. Unless you think that 4,000,000 Peerless 6-70's and 6-72's were built. Or that there are Model A's that can be considered for CCCA Classic status %. In my opinion -- Peerlesses will one day be recognized both for their present-day rarity...and their part in advancing the U.S. auto industry -- and they will advance in price. In my opinion -- a '26 Peerless 6-72 Sedan like the one you are interested in <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> be worth 30 to 100 thousand, if it were restored to #1 Condition { show-winning } %%. Considering the rarity, I think this car was priced <span style="font-style: italic">within reason</span> the last time I looked at the bids ( about $6,000 ). The other two 6-72 Sedans I know of are both in Europe.

I'm sure you realize that I'm a Peerless fanatic and so what I say should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'll try to say a few more things about Peerless 6-72's and the nearly identical 6-70's. I think about 7,000 were made between 1924 and 1927 [ 2,786 6-70's and 5,565 6-72's, based on "How To Identify Your Peerless" thread ]. There were less expensive Peerlesses made then ( 2 models w/ 199-230 c.i.d. Continental sixes ), and more expensive models ( one model w/ the 332 c.i.d. Peerless V-8 was made in 1926 ) . This one has a 289 c.i.d. six made by Peerless. It retailed for $2,395. Four years later, Model A's were selling for $495. There is one more line of Peerless that has this motor -- the 6-90 and 6-91 built from 1927-1929. There's a picture of one on the thread "Peerless CCCA List".

All for now. ----Jeff

* On pg. 1164, it says $2200/$3200/$4400/$7000/$15000 for Conditions #5/#4/#3/#2/#1 for "<span style="text-decoration: underline">1926</span> Model 6-70 -- 6-cyl, 70 hp, 126" wb Sedan-5P"

** My estimates: Pierce-Arrow 1400+, Packard 5000, Peerless 250-500

*** Most of the estimates for Peerless values range from $3,000-35,000. I think Model A Ford monetary worth should be different than Peerless due to numbers and cost.

% None are, to my knowledge. I like Model A's and own one, but even the Model A Town Cars aren't regarded as CCCA Classics.

%% I realize this car would have a ways to go to reach that condition.

Guest Scot63

So now that I have purchased this Peerless, and you seem to know a lot about the Peerless make, can you help me with the following;

1) What is the weight of this car? I need to trailer it home.

2) What is the wheelbase length and width? Again, for trailering.

Thanks!

Hello Scot,

Congratulations for your purchase. I was following it from Belgium but without possibility to bid (not allowed to non USA members)

The weight is 1.700 kg or 3.675 pounds

Length (complete with safety tire) is 178 1/2 inches + 3 inches for bumpers? (pare-choc in French). The wheel base of the 6-72 five passengers is 126 1/2 inches (your car) and the seven passengers is 133 inches.

Width is 68 inches

Data from the Sales Manual of Peerless 6-72.

I have sent to Jefferson Brown copy of this book and of the user manual + documentations on 6-72.

Dear Scot63,

Pleased to hear from you. I have Xeroxes of a 6-72 Sales Manual and also an Operator's Instruction book that Philippe Mordant was kind enough to send me in 2007. Weight for your car is listed as 3,675 lbs ( w/ gasoline, water, oil, & 1 spare tire mounted on the rim ).

Also shows dimensions of 178 1/2" length ( <span style="font-style: italic">without bumpers</span> ), 68" width, and a height of 74 11/16". The Sales Manual lists the 126" w.b. 5-Pass. Sedan for sale at $ 2,395; and the 133" w.b. 7-Pass. Sedan at $2,595. The tread is 56". All figures effective 8/10/25.

Congratulations on getting this Peerless! I didn't see the last few hours of the auction and didn't know if there was much activity on it or not. When it was for sale last year, the description said the seller "...had the name & address of the man that I bought it from that made a history on the car. I'll pass this along with the car." I hope you get that, plus get it home safely. Glad to help with what I can if you have other questions.

Guest Scot63

Jeff,

I would like to get a copy of the Sales Manual and Operators Instruction book if possible. How can I arrange this?

Scot Olthof