'70 Torino high speed miss? Help!

John_Mc

Hi, I love my '70 Torino GT but i'm going CRAZY with a high speed miss. I have a 66,000 mile '70 351 2-V Cleveland with single exhaust and a freshly re-built and recalibrated Autolite 2100. I have very slight miss at idle, but once I get to around 1,000 rpm and beyond there is a major non-rhythmic miss. Sort of feels like 2 plugs have been pulled. The car starts perfectly every time. I do not think anymore that I have an ignition problem since I have done the following: New cap, new wires, new plugs (gapped @ .035), new distributor with new points and condenser set at .017 and a dwell reading of 29 degrees at 500 rpm. The mechanical advance consistently and smoothly advances timing to about 20-30 degrees BTC. There is zero slop in the distributor bushings. The new vacuum advance system will pull the breaker plate and holds vacuum. I’ve changed out the coil - no change, I've adjusted the carb needles - no change, I've triple checked firing order and crossfire - all is correct. I see no vacuum leaks; hoses look good although they are original.

I discussed the issue with a mechanic of almost 50 years who can think of nothing other than a mechanical issue - perhaps worn cam or burned/stuck valves. I've yet to do a compression test, but will do so this weekend. Have I missed ANYTHING??? Thanks for all tips sent my way.

I do not want any electronic ignition set up and I want to keep the original carb. The car is not drivable like this.

Ford made a gazillion of these things and they all did not run like mine. I need to locate the problem, no matter what it is.

Help, help, help !!!

John Mc

'70 351 2-V GT Fastback

'29 Model A Roadster Pickup

'57 Thunderbird

'04 Taurus

'97 Ford F-150

(Ford Guy?)

This sounds very much like a common ailment of Triumph six cylinder engines when there's an intake manifold leak, especially in that the miss/stumble comes in at higher rpm. The method usually used to confirm that it's the manifold is to run the engine duplicating the miss/stumble while running an open, unlit butane lighter around the manifold. If the miss/stumble goes away with butane being sucked in at a particular place, you've found your leak. (<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Obviously</span> you need to be very sure that there's no timing issues or exhaust leaks before doing this due to the fire hazard, however.</span>)

I'm not sure the butane lighter method of detection would be on a V8 anyway, since 1/2 the gasket surface is under the manifold where the lighter wouldn't reach. You might try re-mounting the intake with new gaskets just to see if it works. I can't guarentee that it'll fix it, but it's a likely possibility. smile.gif

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John_Mc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, I love my '70 Torino GT but i'm going CRAZY with a high speed miss. I have a 66,000 mile '70 351 2-V Cleveland with single exhaust and a freshly re-built and recalibrated Autolite 2100. I have very slight miss at idle, but once I get to around 1,000 rpm and beyond there is a major non-rhythmic miss. Sort of feels like 2 plugs have been pulled. The car starts perfectly every time. I do not think anymore that I have an ignition problem since I have done the following: New cap, new wires, new plugs (gapped @ .035), new distributor with new points and condenser set at .017 and a dwell reading of 29 degrees at 500 rpm. The mechanical advance consistently and smoothly advances timing to about 20-30 degrees BTC. There is zero slop in the distributor bushings. The new vacuum advance system will pull the breaker plate and holds vacuum. I’ve changed out the coil - no change, I've adjusted the carb needles - no change, I've triple checked firing order and crossfire - all is correct. I see no vacuum leaks; hoses look good although they are original.

I discussed the issue with a mechanic of almost 50 years who can think of nothing other than a mechanical issue - perhaps worn cam or burned/stuck valves. I've yet to do a compression test, but will do so this weekend. Have I missed ANYTHING??? Thanks for all tips sent my way.

I do not want any electronic ignition set up and I want to keep the original carb. The car is not drivable like this.

Ford made a gazillion of these things and they all did not run like mine. I need to locate the problem, no matter what it is.

Help, help, help !!!

John Mc

'70 351 2-V GT Fastback

'29 Model A Roadster Pickup

'57 Thunderbird

'04 Taurus

'97 Ford F-150

(Ford Guy?) </div></div>

I think you may still have an ignition problem.

According to http://www.torinocobra.com/specs.htm, your point gap should be 0.021 with a corresponding dwell of 27 degrees. Your initial timing should be 6 degrees BTDC. Not sure what you meant by your statement "The mechanical advance consistently and smoothly advances timing to about 20-30 degrees BTC." Are you talking TOTAL timing or just the mechanical advance? Your TOTAL timing should probably be in the range of 30 to 35 degrees. I would suggest trying these gap and dwell settings and adjusting the total timing and see if anything changes.